Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a monopod/tripod to go with my DSLR for the Xmas and New Year periods (mainly for the fireworks @ New Year).

However I am unsure on whether to purchase a monopod or a tripod and which tripod/monopod to pick once I've decided.

The kit I currently have is a Nikon D90 with the kit 18-135mm lens and also a Nikon 50mm lens.

I am looking to spend ~£100 as I don't believe it will be something I use excessively but depending on the success of new year might depend on how frequently I carry it around with me. I would also like something that is fairly light to carry around,

Any advice is appreciated,

Vel

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have a Manfrotto monopod and ball head and like them a lot. They have really helped steady my shooting. If you are going to be shooting night, though, you will need a tripod unless you have a steady hand.

Here is the Manfrotto link: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/86

This is what I have. The monopod was $60 USD and the head was $125.

That is not to scale...:eek:...

Dale

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 342
  • image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 332

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I have a Manfrotto monopod and ball head and like them a lot. They have really helped steady my shooting. If you are going to be shooting night, though, you will need a tripod unless you have a steady hand.

Here is the Manfrotto link: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/86

This is what I have. The monopod was $60 USD and the head was $125.

That is not to scale...:eek:...

Dale

Thanks for your response, when I was looking at the monopod I was curious as to whether I am would be able to remove the rubber foot and if you could get a metal spike (similar to what's found onthe end of an umbrella) so the monopod can be stuck into the ground.

Vel

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You probably can find or make a spike for a monopod but if you are expecting to be able to drive it into the ground and have it stand freely, that might not work so well. You'd either need to reel in the monopod pretty low and/or get a really long spike.

Monopods and tripods don't exactly serve the same purpose really. A tripod is designed to be the sole supporter of a camera and allows you to take shots of any shutter speed. A monopod is used to supplement your support of the camera and unless you have something where you are leaning the monopod on something, is not going to give you good pictures at long shutter speeds. Monopods are also often used to support the weight of a heavy lens (like a huge telephoto) so the user does not need to carry it, while keeping some mobility.

If you want to take long exposures at night for fireworks or whatever, a tripod is really the way to go. With a monopod you're going to have to find somewhere to prop it up and still might struggle with camera shake.

Ruahrc

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Go with tripod + remote for fireworks

If you are looking to do fireworks probably a tripod + remote will be a better fit than trying to hold a monopod. This is especially true for long exposures.

I recommend a cheap aluminium Benro Tripod. I bought a Carbon Fibre tripod from that company earlier this year and it's has been a pretty good investment. The cost was about 250AUD and it came with a ball head attachment. Total weight was only about 1.2 KG.

More info at http://www.benro.com/products_TripodKits.html

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I already have a cheap remote control which works fine when the camera is in bulb mode and also enables me to lock the button in the down position (if that makes sense).

So I will just pick up a cheap tripod and see how things go,

Thanks again,

Vel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.