Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rogueknight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Ok so I made the mistake and let my iMac update to Monterey 12.1.

Huge mistake.
First Magic Mouse doesn’t work. Can’t scroll, no gestures, can’t right click. Useless

System preferences. Multiple preferences go into no responding and can’t ever get in.

Worst of all mail doesn’t work. One to one emails are fine. But any subscription emails or from like hbo max oh no you can see the header and sometimes the footer but you can’t see the body of the email. considering most these emails are for work it’s not acceptable.

Over 20 hours of troubleshooting and reinstalling and 7 apple techs later, I am downloading bug sir so I have a stable osx again.
I love apple but damn they dropped the ball on this one. Worst os I have ever seen on a Mac. The tech said well I can re upgrade it. I was like no y’all have reinstalled Monterey 3 times and nothing has been fixed. No way I am going back to Monterey

Reactions: smoking monkey

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Ok so I made the mistake and let my iMac update to Monterey 12.1.

Huge mistake.
First Magic Mouse doesn’t work. Can’t scroll, no gestures, can’t right click. Useless

System preferences. Multiple preferences go into no responding and can’t ever get in.

Worst of all mail doesn’t work. One to one emails are fine. But any subscription emails or from like hbo max oh no you can see the header and sometimes the footer but you can’t see the body of the email. considering most these emails are for work it’s not acceptable.

Over 20 hours of troubleshooting and reinstalling and 7 apple techs later, I am downloading bug sir so I have a stable osx again.
I love apple but damn they dropped the ball on this one. Worst os I have ever seen on a Mac. The tech said well I can re upgrade it. I was like no y’all have reinstalled Monterey 3 times and nothing has been fixed. No way I am going back to Monterey

Every single new release has threads stating EXCTLY the same thing. When Big Sur came out this place was full to the brim of how bad it was compared to Catalina. Catalina’s release was met with howls of protests bemoaning the loss of Mojave.

And so on.

And late next year I can guarantee that there’ll be posts from folks lamenting how bad “whatever comes next” is compared to Monterey.

For example:

Thread 'Big Sur, the worse update ever!'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-sur-the-worse-update-ever.2280627/

Thread 'Catalina: Worst MacOS ever...'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/catalina-worst-macos-ever.2264693/

Reactions: Basic75 and Rimmsi

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
My own personal rule of thumb with macOS: Upgrade when the OS you are moving to is in security updates only and the OS is finished (Big Sur). Less drama and you are working with a finished product, at least as finished as Apple wants it for this itineration.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Your mail problem is because the new privacy features were turned on... you could have simply turned them off. All the other problems are specific to your machine - nobody else in any forums I visit is reporting those particular issues. Many times, simply running the updater again fixes install glitches—it appears you've done that, so the next thing I would guess is a clean install would be better than updating the existing install.

As @TiggrToo mentioned above, these types of posts appear with every single update. Every single time, numerous people point out that the problem is specific to "your" machine. And every single time, most of those people choose to believe that Apple purposely shipped an OS that is incapable of retrieving email, or running MS Office, or Adobe XYZ app, or booting up, or whatever.

Plenty of people here would love to help, but it takes time, and a willingness to go through the steps and not get frustrated. After all, it could be a hardware problem for which no messing with software will fix.

Reactions: TiggrToo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.