Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Six years ago, I bought a MacBook Pro 2010.

I had seen the palmrests of my friends' laptops being worn down by the sandpapery grinding and acid oils from the constant rubbing of your palms. It looks like this gross picture:

4LYOS.jpg

So I thought I'd spend a few more bucks on my $3000 laptop and get a "Moshi PalmGuard" for it, to prevent that from happening. It's a protective film which covers both the palmrest area and the trackpad.

Six years later, I have the following experiences to report about it:
  • The PalmGuard feels incredible to rest your palms on. It has a slight texture instead of the smooth metal feeling of a nude MacBook.
  • Putting pants on my MacBook has meant that the actual metal is still perfectly protected underneath. The laptop still looks fresh.
  • And the PalmGuard itself? Six years later, it still looks like new! There are no shiny, worn-down spots at all. They must make it out of some freaking space material, because it doesn't look worn at all. The only thing I did was clean it with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser with some water about once per year to give it a microfiber-clean.
  • The only downside I could find was that the glue has finally lost some of its stickiness, and that a corner of the PalmGuard was finally rising up a bit (after all these years). That happened very recently, which is a damn good track record for 6 years of perfect protection.
So why am I making this thread? Because I recently contacted Moshi, asking where I could buy a replacement PalmGuard or some suitable glue (since the PalmGuard itself was still in perfect condition). Instead, they sent me a brand new replacement PalmGuard for free, shipped from Taiwan, six years after my purchase! And Claire at Moshi's support was wonderfully kind, patient and helpful the whole time!

That's incredible and shows that they really care about their customers. So not only is their product great, but the customer service is 5/5.

I'll be in the market for a new MacBook Pro in a year or two, and will 100% guaranteed be buying a new Moshi PalmGuard for that too. Because they pay for themselves immediately in that your laptop remains in pristine condition, which raises your laptop's second hand value by far more than what the PalmGuard costs. And they feel great to rest your palms on. Much better than a plain metal case.

Oh and when it comes to protecting your investment and pricy laptop, I'd also recommend the kbCovers.com ClearSkin, which is a super-thin and super-transparent keyboard cover that feels great to type on (I'm using it right now and have been using them for years). It protects your keyboard so that you avoid "shiny chrome dome" syndrome (a serious medical condition which affects bald men and keyboards alike)! Because if there are two things that make 2nd hand laptops lose their value, it's disgustingly worn-down keys and miscolored palmrests. It looks gross and greatly reduces their value. That's one of the reasons why I decided to protect the palmrest and the keyboard.

Some may say "well, forget about the 2nd hand value, and just enjoy your laptop", to which I say: Yes. Exactly! The laptop feels a lot nicer with a Moshi PalmGuard and a kbCovers ClearSkin. The palmrest feels much nicer, and the keys have a more pleasant feeling to type on. And if you spill some liquid, the ClearSkin prevents it from seeping into the inner electronics of the laptop.

It's a win-win-win: Better feeling while using the laptop, better 2nd hand value, and better protection against the environment.

Anyway, do whatever you want with this information. I just wanted to share a great and uplifting holiday experience I had with Moshi! It's rare that you see such great customer service! :)

Last edited:

priorytools

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
Six years ago, I bought a MacBook Pro 2010.

I had seen the palmrests of my friends' laptops being worn down by the sandpapery grinding and acid oils from the constant rubbing of your palms. It looks like this gross picture:

View attachment 680339

So I thought I'd spend a few more bucks on my $3000 laptop and get a "Moshi PalmGuard" for it, to prevent that from happening. It's a protective film which covers both the palmrest area and the trackpad.

Six years later, I have the following experiences to report about it:
  • The PalmGuard feels incredible to rest your palms on. It has a slight texture instead of the smooth metal feeling of a nude MacBook.
  • Putting pants on my MacBook has meant that the actual metal is still perfectly protected underneath. The laptop still looks fresh.
  • And the PalmGuard itself? Six years later, it still looks like new! There are no shiny, worn-down spots at all. They must make it out of some freaking space material, because it doesn't look worn at all. The only thing I did was clean it with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser with some water about once per year to give it a microfiber-clean.
  • The only downside I could find was that the glue has finally lost some of its stickiness, and that a corner of the PalmGuard was finally rising up a bit (after all these years). That happened very recently, which is a damn good track record for 6 years of perfect protection.
So why am I making this thread? Because I recently contacted Moshi, asking where I could buy a replacement PalmGuard or some suitable glue (since the PalmGuard itself was still in perfect condition). Instead, they sent me a brand new replacement PalmGuard for free, shipped from Taiwan, six years after my purchase! And Claire at Moshi's support was wonderfully kind, patient and helpful the whole time!

That's incredible and shows that they really care about their customers. So not only is their product great, but the customer service is 5/5.

I'll be in the market for a new MacBook Pro in a year or two, and will 100% guaranteed be buying a new Moshi PalmGuard for that too. Because they pay for themselves immediately in that your laptop remains in pristine condition, which raises your laptop's second hand value by far more than what the PalmGuard costs. And they feel great to rest your palms on. Much better than a plain metal case.

Oh and when it comes to protecting your investment and pricy laptop, I'd also recommend the kbCovers.com ClearSkin, which is a super-thin and super-transparent keyboard cover that feels great to type on (I'm using it right now and have been using them for years). It protects your keyboard so that you avoid "shiny chrome dome" syndrome (a serious medical condition which affects bald men and keyboards alike)! Because if there are two things that make 2nd hand laptops lose their value, it's disgustingly worn-down keys and miscolored palmrests. It looks gross and greatly reduces their value. That's one of the reasons why I decided to protect the palmrest and the keyboard.

Some may say "well, forget about the 2nd hand value, and just enjoy your laptop", to which I say: Yes. Exactly! The laptop feels a lot nicer with a Moshi PalmGuard and a kbCovers ClearSkin. The palmrest feels much nicer, and the keys have a more pleasant feeling to type on. And if you spill some liquid, the ClearSkin prevents it from seeping into the inner electronics of the laptop.

It's a win-win-win: Better feeling while using the laptop, better 2nd hand value, and better protection against the environment.

Anyway, do whatever you want with this information. I just wanted to share a great and uplifting holiday experience I had with Moshi! It's rare that you see such great customer service! :)

Sorry … is this an ad ? This reads like a 60'>70's ad pastiche.

Reactions: 8692574 and ocgirl

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Sorry … is this an ad ? This reads like a 60'>70's ad pastiche.

Are you for real? Do you think I work for both Moshi and kbCovers? That's a very rude and flippant thing to say after I take time out of my day to help others find two great solutions to protecting their laptops. I bet you think I work for the Russians too. :rolleyes: Think about how you treat others... This is exactly like all my other threads (see my signature) where I take time out of my day to help others.

Reactions: Shark5150

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Whenever I have a killer experience with a company, I try my best to go out and give a good word for them. I see where you're coming from. I love that the covers are the same price as the laptop.

Also, welcome back! ;)

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Unfortunately they have shown no interest in making any accessories for the 2016 MBPs.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Keyboard covers are more of a hinderance than a benefit. I can't believe you said you actually prefer the feel of typing on a covered keyboard than a bare keyboard. Typing on covered keyboards is like typing on a squishy membrane.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Just got a Moshi USB-C to HDMI adapter for my 2016 MBP. Works great, haven't noticed any input lag and has a great build quality with an aluminum housing. Kind of pricey at $50 considering that you can get a USB-C/HDMI adapter for about half that, but adapters can be finicky sometimes, and I figured the Moshi would give me zero issues, which it hasn't.

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2015
Keyboard covers are more of a hinderance than a benefit. I can't believe you said you actually prefer the feel of typing on a covered keyboard than a bare keyboard. Typing on covered keyboards is like typing on a squishy membrane.

It's a subjective preference. I love the way the keyboard cover dampens the noise, removes all key rattle, and softens the impact. It took some getting used to, sure, but now I massively dislike typing on a regular keyboard with its hard plastic keys.

biopig

Suspended
May 15, 2014
I'm using it for my late 2013 MBP Retina too! so far so good. especially when in winter the aluminum unibody makes it feel so cold. The only downside is, the film on TrackPad reduce the sensitivity, but it doesn't matter since mostly I use external keyboard and TrackPad.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Their response about the 2016 models…

"Unfortunately our product design team has not announced plans to release a PalmGuard for the new 2016 MacBook Pros at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

That's a shame. Does anyone have any alternatives they're happy with?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I just noticed my Moshi PalmGuard is starting to chip, but I'd rather have that than those stains on the MacBook's "aluminium" surface. It wasn't cheap and it doesn't always play nice with those hard plastic cases that have those edge clips, but I agree it's well worth the investment.

Not affiliated with company, just a fan, also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.