Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm trying to find the most compact tripod that is safe to use with my Nikon D40. My father-in-law has this great little tripod for his P&S that can go up to about 4.5 feet tall when setup but collapses down to only about 10 inches. It's not quite sturdy enough for my D40, but that's the kind of thing I'm looking for (because if I can't fit it in my camera bag, I'll probably never use it).

Anyone have recommendations for some really compact but sturdy tripods?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
ultrapod-2-mini-camera-tripod.jpg

If you don't stick a 300mm f/2.8 on it, you should be fine.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
That doesn't look like it extends though. I want one that can get me 4 or 5 feet off the ground. I found this one, which gets close to my size requirements by folding down to 14.6", but if I can find a sturdy one that folds down to under 12" I would be quite happy.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
I really struggled with this question, too. I looked at a bunch of different tripods, and eventually settled on a low-to-middle grade model from Manfrotto (sorry, I can't remember which exactly model).

Ultimately, none of the compact tripods seemed to do what I wanted. So, while I strongly agree with your assessment that the tripod you are reluctant to take with you never gets used, I decided it was more important that the tripod do (for sure) what I wanted to. No, it doesn't fit in any camera bag I'm likely ever to own, but it isn't so wretchedly heavy that I mind slinging it over my shoulder.

But then again, I knew I'd be doing a lot of nighttime and long-exposure shots for which a genuinely compact tripod just wasn't going to cut it.

I hope this helps.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Depends on what you're going to be using it for. For a tripod to actually hold the camera more securely than you can on your own (i.e. for long exposures/slow shutter speeds), it needs to be both solid and heavy. Personally, I tend to favour a monopod for day to day use, with a big, heavy Manfrotto tripod for those occasions when only complete stability will do.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Mostly I'm looking to use it for taking family shots, and the occasional night exposure. Nothing major or frequent.

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
what tersono said. A lot of the cheap light tripods are pretty pointless as they arent much of a step above handholding! I have been looking for one that folds down small, my camera is heavier but the only ones that seem to meet my requirement of sturdy and small are the carbon fibre ones. I ended up ordering one of these http://www.feisol.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.