Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac friends.

Since black text and grayscale logo + graphics (nothing in the level of the needs of a print studio) is the most used and we have a colored inkjet printer anyway (old but still working), it's best to buy laser printer this time.

What is the most decent (to even spectacular if that exists) but more cost-effective laser printer suggestions, this is for brand new. How about for refurbished laser printer with 3 mos. warranty- are there old models that still surpass the newer ones. Cost-effective includes overall upkeep (toner expenses)

Lastly, is Kyocera as good as Brother, Canon, HP, Samsung? It seems to be the most affordable brand new.

Thank you in advance for the recommendations.

Have a blessed week.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, thanks for the replies.

After checking the sellers, this seems to be the most cost-effective and has Wifi & ethernet: Brother HL-1210W
I plan to use an free app called handyPrint to make the Wifi AirPrint compatible (hopefully it will, though if anyone knows another free app that turns Wifi printers to AirPrint, do mention that).

There's also the Kyocera PA2000W (Wifi printer too).

I read laser cartridges can be refilled instead of buying a laser toner cartridge which is quite expensive, are OEM or 3rd party laser toner powders easily available for Brother models like that (I think you have to also reset the toner cartridge chip?). Refilling will make it even more affordable as a whole.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"After checking the sellers, this seems to be the most cost-effective and has Wifi & ethernet: Brother HL-1210W"

That's a "printer only".
It doesn't have scanning or copying.

Again, I'll advise:
Spend just a little more and get a Brother "all-in-one".
It won't be much more, but you'll get more features that may prove useful.
The copy feature is very nice (if you don't have a standalone copy machine).

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Thanks for the concern, no problem we have a scanner (the old HP inkjet, I'll scan then print grayscale on the laser printer, good inks are expensive and continuous ink is unreliable for urgent logo + text only / office documents) again for recommending Brother (not very popular vs. HP, Samsung & Canon but I think it's a more focused company, thus more durable and better designed) also I thought Kyocera (they're quite stylish though, the finish is stylish), HP, Samsung & Canon are richer, I like to support the smaller guys like Brother so they don't go bankrupt, competition is good for consumers.

I'm just waiting for the bank's calculation on the month if 3, 6 or 1 year coz' laser printers are about 60% more expensive but it's always best to get what you really want and/or really need, no matter how expensive it is as long as the installment is affordable (coz' if there's a compromise, too much compromise especially, usually one just ends up giving, donating & selling it anyway & then buy later what was really wanted- it won't let one rest X-D/no peace of mind ) it's more peace of mind.

I'll be our first laser PC printer (we've had a Brother photocopier before and fax, it's good to see Brother again, God willing, like a brother :) )

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I have a similar inquiry (since HP no longer manufactures ink cartridges for my current printer).

At the moment, I’m considering these:

OP wrote:
"After checking the sellers, this seems to be the most cost-effective and has Wifi & ethernet: Brother HL-1210W"

That's a "printer only".
It doesn't have scanning or copying.

Again, I'll advise:
Spend just a little more and get a Brother "all-in-one".
It won't be much more, but you'll get more features that may prove useful.
The copy feature is very nice (if you don't have a standalone copy machine).

I’ve been using Scanner Pro with little hassle/problems. So, a scanner (or rather another AIO) isn’t a necessity. With that said, the automatic document feeder and duplex scanning of the MFC-L2750DW would be helpful. However, I don’t think it would work in my situation as the set of documents I would use it for are received via mail (i.e., folded in an envelope — the ADF documentation warns:

• DO NOT leave thick documents on the scanner glass. If you do this, the ADF may jam.
  • DO NOT use paper that is curled, wrinkled, folded, ripped, stapled, paper-clipped, pasted, or taped.
  • DO NOT use cardboard, newspaper, or fabric.
  • To avoid damaging your machine while using the ADF, DO NOT pull on the document while it is feeding.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
The smartphone scanner apps are doing very good jobs, to the extent that simple scanners are fading away from the shelves. Same fate to the 3 in 1 printers. My scanner have been collecting dust for nearly 10 years.
Now perhaps only professional scanners with document feeders are still available on sales.
Where I live, photocopy shops are just nearby.
I still keep a laser printer, just to save my 10min ride to the printing/photocopying shop in the neighborhood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.