Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowtonkatoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Given the upcoming transition to 5G, which cell carrier is likely to be most futureproof for current iPhones, especially since Apple won’t be making the jump to 5G anytime soon? I’m currently on Verizon, but since they’re shutting down CDMA sometime in 2019, I wonder how seamless that will actually be? I’m pretty sure it won’t be an issue with LTE, but thinking of moving to T-Mobile as they seem poised to amp up their network with the Sprint merger. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Verizon has had VoLTE for years now. If you can use data on the device while on a phone call then your device has VoLTE and you're using it.

I'm not advocating for Verizon, but CDMA is a non-issue with them now. They solved that transition problem a long time ago. Hell, Verizon is due to be shutting down CDMA by next year.

T-Mobile is going to have to deal with the legacy aspect of this when they merge with Sprint. Sprint's already been trying to solve that by rolling out their own VoLTE, but they are years behind Verizon.

yellowtonkatoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Verizon has had VoLTE for years now. If you can use data on the device while on a phone call then your device has VoLTE and you're using it.

I'm not advocating for Verizon, but CDMA is a non-issue with them now. They solved that transition problem a long time ago. Hell, Verizon is due to be shutting down CDMA by next year.

T-Mobile is going to have to deal with the legacy aspect of this when they merge with Sprint. Sprint's already been trying to solve that by rolling out their own VoLTE, but they are years behind Verizon.
Thanks, this is helpful!

Reactions: eyoungren

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2016
The cheapest one.

Seriously, switching carriers is as simple as swapping SIM cards, it takes a few minutes. Porting your phone number is quick now if you care about keeping it. Don't get too attached to a carrier, just price compare and go with the cheapest one unless you're someplace where only one has coverage.

If you're on Verizon, there's a good chance you're paying too much. Shop around.

Reactions: Deffy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.