Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
For me, on both my iPhone 6 Plus, a No problem older device and an iPad Pro 9.7", a new device, certain iMessage apps do not work at all. When I tap or swipe to then, they just show the apps icon and no not do anything.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
which apps don't work you?

classic mac, hands, ttl, wordy, words with friends, espy, trivia crack, yelp, periscope, smileys, and jibjab all work for me.. Which i have on my phone

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
which apps don't work you?

classic mac, hands, ttl, wordy, words with friends, espy, trivia crack, yelp, periscope, smileys, and jibjab all work for me.. Which i have on my phone
Lose It and Scanbot have both not worked yet. Same with ETA

Reactions: Abazigal

drarrex7

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Several of my iMessage apps area also not working. Specifically Tenor, ESPN, Fandango, Castro, and Scanbot.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
This is true of all of my third party iMessage apps :(

UPDATE: almost all of them. Airbnb and Opentable work. But al least 5 others just show the icon.

BryanTheCrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
This is true of all of my third party iMessage apps :(

UPDATE: almost all of them. Airbnb and Opentable work. But al least 5 others just show the icon.

Try quitting iMessage (swipe it off screen), open the apps that have iMessage plugins and sign in if needed, then re-open iMessage and select the app. For me, some of them didn't work until I had launched the apps first.

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2014
I have installed several iMessage games like Tic Tac Toe and Words With Friends and they don't work. They will work for awhile then stop. Here's an example:

I'll start a words with friends or tic tac toe game via iMessage with another person on ios10. It will send them the game with what I did on my first turn. They will then click it and it allows them to play their turn. Then here is where it breaks. When it sends it back to me, instead of being a playable game, it's just a screenshot of the game we are playing. Meaning it's just an image.

I have tried 3 games and they all do this.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
I have installed several iMessage games like Tic Tac Toe and Words With Friends and they don't work. They will work for awhile then stop. Here's an example:

I'll start a words with friends or tic tac toe game via iMessage with another person on ios10. It will send them the game with what I did on my first turn. They will then click it and it allows them to play their turn. Then here is where it breaks. When it sends it back to me, instead of being a playable game, it's just a screenshot of the game we are playing. Meaning it's just an image.

I have tried 3 games and they all do this.
Your friends could be sending you the wrong thing -> picture instead of using the game. Or is such thing impossible? How do you even add games?

In the App Store I could only find stickers and weirdly enough there are apps among the sticker section (mix up?)

parisi2274

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I am having the same issue... For me the following apps just show their app icon:

Fandango
iTranslate
GIPHY
ESPN
IMDB
AccuWeather

I went into each app, signed in if needed, and went back to iMessage and no change...

EDIT: All apps listed above work perfectly fine on my iPad Air 2 running iOS10... so, now I am unsure as to why they work on my iPad but not on my iPbone..

Last edited:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Edit: Found the games. I guess there are still a lot of bugs in the iMessage store.

davidgolfer

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
I was having same problem. Went to app store and several of the apps had updates. Installed the updates and the iMessage part started working.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I have Words with Friends. Tried quitting both iMessage and WWF, then reopened WWF then iMessage. Still does not work. *confused*

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2014
Your friends could be sending you the wrong thing -> picture instead of using the game. Or is such thing impossible? How do you even add games?

In the App Store I could only find stickers and weirdly enough there are apps among the sticker section (mix up?)
Nope that's not it. I tried it between my phone and my son's phone, both in my hands. Did the same thing.

DredPirateStorm

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I'm having this problem as well. One that I know should work is Alto's Adventure. They updated the app to say they added something like 16 stickers. It shows as an icon in iMessage, but the stickers themselves don't appear. The only stickers I have that work are the Mario Run ones I downloaded separately.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I was able to get all teh same apps working on my iPad Air 2 last night, and the only difference between that and my iPhone is that my iPad is running the GM of iOS10 and my iPhone is running the official release of iOS10... Maybe there is an issue with the official release of the iOS that is causing these extensions to break on the iPhone iMessage app

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
You have to delete and reinstall the apps. Yelp and ESPN weren't working, just showing the logo with nothing in the box. I reinstalled both, logged into the apps, then restarted iMessage and they both worked as described. Reinstalling is magical and takes courage.

For the record, Yelp only shows you the most recent places you looked at, it doesn't really allow you to search within iMessage and post directly to a conversation. Not super helpful but it's a start I guess.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
You have to delete and reinstall the apps. Yelp and ESPN weren't working, just showing the logo with nothing in the box. I reinstalled both, logged into the apps, then restarted iMessage and they both worked as described. Reinstalling is magical and takes courage.

For the record, Yelp only shows you the most recent places you looked at, it doesn't really allow you to search within iMessage and post directly to a conversation. Not super helpful but it's a start I guess.
Thanks, courageously uninstalling WWF helped ;) silly that it doesn't work from the get-go though. Probably a x.0 bug.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010

I removed ESPN from my iPhone, then downloaded it again, logged into it, signed into my account, then went into iMessage, added those extensions again, then closed iMessage, restarted it, and no change. Still just shows the ESPN logo...

parisi2274

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I seemed to finally have fixed the issue, and it was just as others have mentioned in this thread. I deleted the apps I was having an issue with, then for added measure I rebooted my iPhone, then I downloaded those apps again, launched them and then went into iMessage and when I selected one, it started working.

Reactions: tgara

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Yep, you need to delete the apps and reinstall. Frustrating but that's what needs to be done. I was having problems with Open Table, Scanner Pro, and Whole Foods apps. Not only were these not working in messages, but Open Table was also not working in Maps. A delete, reinstall and re-login fixed all in both Maps and Messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.