Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BluefireArts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Deutschland
Hi,

I´m new to the mac and to macOS. Bought a macbook (13" 2015) last month and I´ve run into a problem that i can't seem to fix. Maybe someone here has had something similar and can help me :D

I use an imap email account from gmx.net. I configured mail.app to connect to it and mapped trash/drafts and sent folders. Its basically working. I can recieve and send emails.

What is not working is moving and deleting emails. I want to move some mails like invoices to a specific imap folder, to keep my inbox clean. I used to do this with thunderbird on windows or my iPhone. If i do this in mail.app in macOS the moving or deleting happens only locally.

This is what happens:

I move an email from inbox to the imap folder "invoice" in macOS Mail, by drag and drop or by "e-mail->move to" from the menu.

Now in macOS mail the email is only visible in "invoice" and not in inbox. Seems fine so far.

but...

When i log into the webpage of my mailprovider, or check mails on my iPhone, the email is still in INBOX. And at the same time it is in "invoice". So it has only been copied.

Am I missing something in mail.app? How can I make it work as expected?

System: macOs Sierra 10.12.2

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
What you're seeing is how IMAP works. The IMAP protocol is handy when using mail between several devices - your iPhone, Mac, iPad, etc. I keep two accounts for that reason: POP and IMAP. My iCloud mail is IMAP while I keep my other account as POP for the very reason you stated above.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
If i do this in mail.app in macOS the moving or deleting happens only locally.
This is working more like POP where you "Leave Messages on Server" Let's check to make sure you are syncing folders back to the imap account.

While in Mail go to Preferences | Accounts and check the account,
1. Is is listed as IMAP under server settings?
2. Check the incoming and outgoing mail server settings, most mail accounts allow both POP and IMAP accounts, make sure the server settings you have are for the right account type.
3. On the account status tab, does it indicate "Online?"

BluefireArts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Deutschland
This is working more like POP where you "Leave Messages on Server" Let's check to make sure you are syncing folders back to the imap account.

While in Mail go to Preferences | Accounts and check the account,
1. Is is listed as IMAP under server settings?
2. Check the incoming and outgoing mail server settings, most mail accounts allow both POP and IMAP accounts, make sure the server settings you have are for the right account type.
3. On the account status tab, does it indicate "Online?"

Thank you for your reply. I checked the account settings. Directly under the name of the account it says imap. on tab three: server settings where the incoming mail server url is specified it says (imap) too. The url is correct according to my mail provider: imap.gmx.net .The outgoing mailserver (smtp) has a different url though.

On tab one account information the checkbox for active is checked, and a round green circle is displayed after "status: online"

The mail app definately syncs something back, because moving mails creates duplicates on the server. I think it might even flag the mails in some way, because when i open thunderbird on my windows pc after i moved emails in mail.app then thunderbird "magically" sorts everything out, removes duplicates and so on. Somehow it has to know what to do.

BluefireArts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Deutschland
According to the US English site (sorry I can't read German) here did you do the last step?

Hi, thank you for reading through that documentation :)

Yes i followed that instructions when I initially added the account to mail . The last step only offered Drafts/Sent/Trash/Junk though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.