Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I have Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp on my MacBook 4,1 which still runs Lion.

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) which runs High Sierra.

I'd like to transfer my Windows partition (just as it is) from my MacBook 4,1 to my new MacBook Pro.

I am not looking to re-install Windows on my MacBook Pro and have to re-install all its software etc. I am looking for a direct transfer only.

I am aware of this app called Winclone Pro ( http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25932/winclone ) but before purchasing I would like to ask you, in case the following is possible:

Can I:
Step 1. Create a new partition on my MacBook Pro (via Disk Utility).
2. Backup my Windows 7 partition from my MacBook 4,1 to an external HD. (Either direct copy/paste, or using Carbon Copy Cloner)
3. Use this external HD to copy the Windows 7 partition to my MacBook Pro's partition I created in step 1 above?

Let me know, thank you.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp on my MacBook 4,1 which still runs Lion.

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) which runs High Sierra.

I'd like to transfer my Windows partition (just as it is) from my MacBook 4,1 to my new MacBook Pro.

I am not looking to re-install Windows on my MacBook Pro and have to re-install all its software etc. I am looking for a direct transfer only.

I am aware of this app called Winclone Pro ( http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25932/winclone ) but before purchasing I would like to ask you, in case the following is possible:

Can I:
Step 1. Create a new partition on my MacBook Pro (via Disk Utility).
2. Backup my Windows 7 partition from my MacBook 4,1 to an external HD. (Either direct copy/paste, or using Carbon Copy Cloner)
3. Use this external HD to copy the Windows 7 partition to my MacBook Pro's partition I created in step 1 above?

Let me know, thank you.
Winclone will let you make an image of your Windows install and copy it to another disk. As for whether or not Windows 7 will run on the other computer with different hardware, that's an entirely different issue. It may not boot at all, or at least may not run properly.
Also, you don't need the Pro version of Winclone for that- Winclone Standard will work fine.

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Winclone will let you make an image of your Windows install and copy it to another disk. As for whether or not Windows 7 will run on the other computer with different hardware, that's an entirely different issue. It may not boot at all, or at least may not run properly.
Also, you don't need the Pro version of Winclone for that- Winclone Standard will work fine.

Thank you for your response.

Would it not work on my MacBook Pro once I move the partition there and install its equivalent drivers (I mean the ones you find from Apple or your install DVD's that came with your computer). Is there still a chance it might not work?

Also, I was just looking into Winclone and it says I'll need to use Boot Camp Assistant at first, to partition the HD. Problem is, I have already partitioned my MacBook Pro's HD using Disk Utility in 3 partitions -- 1 of them specifically for Windows. Do I have to use BCA too, or the one I made through DU will do?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for your response.

Would it not work on my MacBook Pro once I move the partition there and install its equivalent drivers (I mean the ones you find from Apple or your install DVD's that came with your computer). Is there still a chance it might not work?

Also, I was just looking into Winclone and it says I'll need to use Boot Camp Assistant at first, to partition the HD. Problem is, I have already partitioned my MacBook Pro's HD using Disk Utility in 3 partitions -- 1 of them specifically for Windows. Do I have to use BCA too, or the one I made through DU will do?
You do not need to use the Bootcamp assistant in conjunction with Winclone. Just format your partition in some Windows format and Winclone will do what it needs to do.
Windows is not a very "portable" operating system, unlike macOS, so hardware differences can make it that the operating system just won't boot on a different type of computer. You may not even be able to get to the point where you'd reinstall Apple's drivers, but give it a try.

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Ok, I'll try it.

Wow, can't believe I just might have to end up reinstalling Windows and everything else related.

Given that I have removed the optical drive and my Windows are in a DVD, what would my options be in that case?

Anyway, thank you for replying, guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.