Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GatorJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
While I kind of like the new “file” platform I use multiple cloud storage systems. Generally I have different files on each but every now and then I need to copy/paste or outright move a file from one to the other but have not been able to figure out how to do it in iOS11 beta 2 running on my iPad Pro release 1, 12.9”

I have tried copy but when i switch service there is no paste option. I have tried split screen to drag and drop but that doesn’t work either.

Anyone have any ideas?

This would allow me to stop carrying my MBP on business ( or any ) trips.

Thanks,

Jeff

GatorJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Yes as I said I’m running iOS11 beta 2 on my iPad Pro. All file apps have been updated by the developers and support file in iOS11.

Thx

Last edited:

GatorJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
I appreciate the responses but you are not 1) reading my post, originally I said I am using iOS11 beta 2 and your response was I needed to wait for iOS11. 2) Evidently not using the third party storage apps because each i identified are available in the iOS File application. 3) Again not using the third party storage solutions with iOS11 because I can ABSOLUTELY create a new file / document and upload it to any of the four services that show as options in the File app.

Again thanks for the reply but you are not correct in any of your statements.
[doublepost=1500654334][/doublepost]Yes Stulaw11 I understand the logging into the app itself but they have been adapted to support iOS11 / File. As I said I can create a new file / doc and upload it to any of the systems navigating through file. I can take any file / doc that is resident on my iPad Pro and access it from the File system and then upload it...

I CAN download from one and upload to the other but that’s not what I was asking.

So back to my original question of copy from one and paste to the other.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I appreciate the responses but you are not 1) reading my post, originally I said I am using iOS11 beta 2 and your response was I needed to wait for iOS11. 2) Evidently not using the third party storage apps because each i identified are available in the iOS File application. 3) Again not using the third party storage solutions with iOS11 because I can ABSOLUTELY create a new file / document and upload it to any of the four services that show as options in the File app.

Actually, I think it’s possible you’ve misunderstood the responses so far. Full support by the other cloud storage providers is not going to be implemented until the first public non-beta release of iOS 11, not for the betas. This was explained by both Apple and some of the storage providers during WWDC and afterwards. The integration you’re seeing now is partial, relying on existing APIs in previous versions of iOS, so yes, you can download and upload files from/to the could storage locations, but this is not the kind of integration expected after the cloud storage providers implement the new APIs.

The responses so far have been helpful: during the beta period, expect the Files app to be severely limited because the cloud storage providers have not implemented the new APIs and won’t until later.

GatorJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Ok I'm done here. Yes sosumi99 I clearly understand but to this point no one is listening to my question. I understand that old API's are being used during SOME of the beta BUT most in the business understand that integration and new API's have to be created before early release and general availability.

No one else need reply because no one is answering the original simple question.

AND if that is a simple NO then I can live with that but telling me I have to wait for iOS11 when I clearly said I was running iOS11 beta 2 is just frustrating...

Thanks again all and have a great day...

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Ok but you clearly STILL dont get it or simply refuse to listen. Clicking on Onedrive or Dropbox etc in Files links you to the Onedrive/Dropbox app interface; that is why icloud, onedrive, and dropbox menus all look different in the Files app right now. It is using the native dropbox/onedrive app interfaces still. If they were using the Files API then they would all look like icloud does right now in Files.

Dropbox, Onedrive, etc have ALL officially already announced that IN SEPTEMBER WHEN IOS 11 RELEASES T OTHE PUBLIC, not beta, that they will update their apps to integrate into the Files app.

https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2017/06/ios-11-files-app-integration/
https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/06/05/announcing-onedrive-support-for-the-files-app-in-ios-11/

They cannot release an app update for their apps in the App Store with the iOS11 Files API before the OS officially releases in September, period. It is a breach of the developer agreement. So you will never see full functionality until September as it requires their apps updated on their end.

This is beating a dead horse now. You simply refuse to listen.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
...telling me I have to wait for iOS11 when I clearly said I was running iOS11 beta 2 is just frustrating...

I understand your frustration. But what they're saying is you need to wait for the final release of iOS 11. After it's out of beta. Everyone totally understands you're running iOS 11 Beta 2. You've made that quite clear. But they're saying that isn't good enough. Neither will Beta 3, Beta 4, Beta 5, etc. be good enough. It's not going to work completely correctly until the beta is over. Sure, Dropbox works today. But only in a limited capacity. When iOS 11 is released to the public, Dropbox will be able to update their app in the store that will enable full functionality. But until iOS 11 is released later this year, Dropbox is literally forbidden from uploading a version compatible with iOS 11 to the app store.

All file apps have been updated by the developers and support file in iOS11.

That's another point you're missing. Unless you're part of a private beta with one of those companies, you actually do NOT have an app that supports Files in iOS 11. The limited functionality you're seeing is just what's possible today with iOS 10. Once again, they're are not allowed to upload a version that is compatible with the beta. I'm sure they have a version in house that does support iOS 11 and are probably hard at work on it. But they can't release it yet.

Hopefully Files will allow you to copy files around and allow you to leave the laptop behind. But we won't know for sure until later this year.

For the record, I'm "in the business". Every day at work, I analyze, fix/update, test and release software. I've made a living doing so for nearly 30 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: profets and lars666
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.