Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acden

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Russian Federation
Everybody knows that Mail changed it format from V3 to V4, because of new SQLite database version.

So, it is not works anymore to just copy mail/V3 folder to a new OS. It don't load previous mailboxes.

I hate Import/Export function in Apple Mail because it exports/imports only one folder! (So you should export Inbox, Drafts, Outbox, Spam and Junk folders SEPARATELY for each mailbox and it is a headache for me, as I'm using >5 accounts and also want to store mail in mailboxes which now not available anymore).

How to move mail?

I even tried this: installed Sierra, transfered my mail with Migrate Assistant (But it moves other folders and settings for every software, every junk file, settings etc, so I can't choose to move mail only).

Then installed OS X on fresh hard drive and moved mail/V4 folder - and even there nothing happends!!! It didn't open my mailboxes from other Sierra install!!!

How to transfer mail from old OS X to a new Sierra without any junk files and settings, which Migration Assistant gives? Are there clean step-by-step way?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Have you tried sync to iCloud and then install new sierra mail and then sync from iCloud back to Mac? You should not have to Sync the mail - just contacts (if needed). Mail should download and create proper folders as part of IMAP settings

Last edited:

Acden

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Russian Federation
Have you tried sync to iCloud and then install new sierra mail and then sync from iCloud back to Mac? You should not have to Sync the mail - just contacts (if needed). Mail should download and create proper folders as part of IMAP settings
I think I already wrote that not all mailboxes can be accessed now, and not of them are imap!
I need archives of my old POP-3 accounts.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"How to transfer mail from old OS X to a new Sierra without any junk files and settings, which Migration Assistant gives? Are there clean step-by-step way?"

Seems I was able to move mail from one Mac to another manually via the finder.

It involves going into your account folders, locating the old mail files, then copying them to the new Mac (I just put them on the desktop), and using Mail.app's "import" feature to "bring them in".

This is best done by using an "intermediary drive", such as a USB flash drive, hard drive, etc.

Also, IMPORTANT: when you first mount the intermediary drive on the new Mac, you want to go to that drive's "get info" box and set "sharing and permissions" to "ignore ownership on this volume".

It's been a while, but I think that worked for me.

There are more elegant solutions, but I think they involve "pay-for" software.

You should give "Emailchemy" a try. Free to download and do a "test run" on.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
There were no issues experienced moving all my saved mail and it was a large. Just exported from 10.11, moved the file over my new laptop running 10.12 and imported them without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.