Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gillz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Hello,

My MacBook Pro 13" 2016 Function Keys has a moving part in somewhere. It feels like it moves somewhere around the fan (middle-left), but today I went to an Apple Store and after discussing with some colleagues I was told the moving part is the webcam module. The guy said that in every new MacBook Pro the webcam module sits loose in the body and thus it is able to move. It is hard to feel/hear where the sound comes from so I was not able to contradict his words. I've had contact several times with an authorised seller and online Apple service. In the Amac (authorised seller) we were NOT able to reproduce it, however the guy at the Apple Store today told me he did reproduce the problem in another MacBook so it was completely normal. I posted my findings to a Dutch Apple community site (OneMoreThing) and a person responded his MacBook was fine and another one responded that he doubt it that Apple would put the webcam loose in its case/screen.

So my question is: Can someone confirm that the webcam module sits loose in its case/screen and thus if it is true what has been told to me AND/OR what should I do? I doubt it that Apple would put their webcam module loose in the screen.

I should notice to reproduce it, you should tilt, or even better, shake your MacBook on its horizontal axis.

Thanks in advance!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Most people don't have a sound like that, but it isn't rare. I too doubt it's the webcam. It's generally attributed to a layer of the screen assembly that's between the backlight and the outer layers that sometimes loosens and moves back and forth a bit. Doesn't harm anything, but it bothers some people. There are some threads about it here.

gillz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Most people don't have a sound like that, but it isn't rare. I too doubt it's the webcam. It's generally attributed to a layer of the screen assembly that's between the backlight and the outer layers that sometimes loosens and moves back and forth a bit. Doesn't harm anything, but it bothers some people. There are some threads about it here.

The weird thing is that is feels like it has some weight to it, so do you think it can still be attributed to some layer? Thanks for you reply, I will definitely have a look if I can find another thread about it.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
As I understand it, the loose layer is a light disperser, so it may have some weight. Look for threads about screen rattles, might want to use a Google site search: site:forums.macrumors.com/ plus your keywords.

Reactions: gillz

gillz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
As I understand it, the loose layer is a light disperser, so it may have some weight. Look for threads about screen rattles, might want to use a Google site search: site:forums.macrumors.com/ plus your keywords.

Thanks for your help!
Yup checked it and it probably is the light disperser. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.