Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if it's possible to move my pictures folder out of my home folder onto an external...

I've dragged the folder itself to the external, but that's just a copy of the folder - I'd actually like to set the Pictures folder itself to be on the external hard disk. I hope you understand the difference!

Any ideas?

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I'm not using iPhoto, I was just interested in keeping the specific "Pictures" folder associated with the Home folder, just in a different location. For example, the way it has its custom icon etc.

Wallace25

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
When you drag your pic folder over to your external, hold down the comand(apple) key, the green plus sign will goaway. This will move your folder, Just dragging to external hard drives copies folders by default.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I wouldnt advise moving any folders from your home folder. They are there for a reason. iLife apps will expect the movies, pictures and music folders to be in the home folder. Moving any of them could possibly seriously mess up your iLife apps.

Im not totally sure about it I could be wrong but thats how I see it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if it's possible to move my pictures folder out of my home folder onto an external...

I've dragged the folder itself to the external, but that's just a copy of the folder - I'd actually like to set the Pictures folder itself to be on the external hard disk. I hope you understand the difference!

Any ideas?

Yes it's easy. I keep my Pictures and some other folders on a large external FW400 drive as they don't fit on the internal drive. Just drag the folder over to "wherever", delete the copy that is in the home folder and then make an "alias" and put the alias back in your home folder. The alias will need to have the same name "Pictures". Alias allow a file or folder to appear to be in two places at once, on the external drive and in my home folder.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Yes it's easy. I keep my Pictures and some other folders on a large external FW400 drive as they don't fit on the internal drive. Just drag the folder over to "wherever", delete the copy that is in the home folder and then make an "alias" and put the alias back in your home folder. The alias will need to have the same name "Pictures". Alias allow a file or folder to appear to be in two places at once, on the external drive and in my home folder.

sweet ! cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.