Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I recently moved to Japan. The wall outlet provides 100V/50Hz. When I plugged the Mac Pro with an XDR Pro Display, everything fired up and I saw the Apple logo on the monitor. I do not believe I heard a boot up chime. After a few moments, the monitor turned off. At this point, I do not recall if the status indicator light (SIL) on the MP began blinking or remained solid white. Since then, when rebooting the MP, the SIL has come up with either a red blinking light or solid white. The farthest I've gotten is a complete log in where I could see my desktop and a prompt appeared indicating there had been a problem with the MP and if I wanted to report the data to Apple. I filled in details and clicked ok. I launched Mail and began to enter the wifi password. The computer locked up and after approximately 10 seconds, the monitor turned off. I had to do a hard reboot. Thinking it could be the XDR, I tried a Studio Display. The only thing I see on the Studio Display is 3 solid white lights which then began to alternate from left to right. After approximately 5-6 seconds the lights disappear and I noticed the screen shut off.

I also tried an APC UPS. When I plug the MP and XDR into the UPS, I get the same symptoms. The APC has a big enough battery that it can run the MP and monitor(s) for up to 15-20 minutes at 120V 60Hz. Since I experience the same problem, it appears the 100V/50Hz may not be the issue.

Please note, the wall sockets are 3-pronged, so there is a ground. I've referenced the SIL behavior and it appears to fit the Memory Error. 9 times of out ten, the computer fires up and I get a solid white light. Unfortunately, since I cannot get a monitor to work, I don't know if the problem is the (1) computer, (2) 100V/50Hz, (3) monitor or (4) other.

As noted above, I have not heard the boot up chime after powering the MP down and turning it back on. I plan on taking the MP and XDR to the nearest Apple Store.

Any feedback/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Love when that happens.
I love it even more when you get that Apple Tech who is familiar with the symptoms and is able to explain, "this might not solve the problem, but I would first like you to unmount and remount..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.