Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phillez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
I just installed a ASUS radeon RX 560 installed in my MP5,1. I get no video, but 10.13.6 recognises the card in PCI devices when GT 120 is installed as well. My screen also registers a connected device when HDMI or DVI is connected, but no signal. Initially I thought it needed external power but there is no connecter on the card and it seems it runs fine on power from PCIe

Current boot rom: mb51.007d.b03, I cannot install Mojave and upgrade to newer firmware as the GT 120 does not support metal.

As far as I can tell the card should be supported and run fine on High Sierra. Is it only the SAPPHIRE cards that works with the classic MPs?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Try using JUST the RX560 in system in Slot 1 and remove the GT 120. See if it makes a difference.

Your BootROM is off. Do you mean mp51.007d.b03? If so, please report back. May be helpful if you can dump that.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I just installed a ASUS radeon RX 560 installed in my MP5,1. I get no video, but 10.13.6 recognises the card in PCI devices when GT 120 is installed as well. My screen also registers a connected device when HDMI or DVI is connected, but no signal. Initially I thought it needed external power but there is no connecter on the card and it seems it runs fine on power from PCIe

Current boot rom: mb51.007d.b03, I cannot install Mojave and upgrade to newer firmware as the GT 120 does not support metal.

As far as I can tell the card should be supported and run fine on High Sierra. Is it only the SAPPHIRE cards that works with the classic MPs?
Apple don't support NVIDIA and AMD GPUs simultaneously anymore and sometimes one card interfere with the other. To correctly diagnose your problem start with upgrading your ancient BootROM, your first step is to remove the RX 560 then do a firmware upgrade to MP51.0089.B00.

Read what you have to do here:

MP5,1: What you have to do to upgrade to Mojave (BootROM upgrade instructions)

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure if a certain level of firmware is required for the RX 5xx series cards, but that Boot ROM does look very old. One of the firmware gurus can chime in here, but I think MP51.0089.xxx would be current for 10.13.6 High Sierra. You may want to download and run the High Sierra full installer from here:

Get macOS High Sierra

to update your firmware. Keep in mind, after you reboot from the firmware install, you don't actually have to go through w/ the full system install. Again, I'm not sure if the firmware would make a difference for your issue, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get up-to-date for the system you have.

FT
[doublepost=1557432547][/doublepost]Haha...speaking of firmware gurus, I see @tsialex has beaten me to the punch. :D

Phillez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Sorry my bad! Obviously I have the MP51.0089.B00 boot rom with 10.13.6.
I have tried both with both cards and only with the RX 560. I get no picture either way.

Phillez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Its obvious that I don't have a MB BootROM :) It's a 2009 4,1 upgraded to 5,1.
I used the high Sierra install media and upgraded the firmware. Would reinstalling 10.13.6 again do a difference?

Btw, I installed it with the Apple Cinema Display 24'', does that cause an issue?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I'm going to guess this is another improperly performed hacked install, but please post screenshots of ABOUT THIS MAC and the HARDWARE OVERVIEW in system report to help further.

Phillez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
I appreciate your help. I downloaded 10.13.6 through app store and created a usb install media. Never used AirDisplay.

Please find screen shot of system report

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I appreciate your help. I downloaded 10.13.6 through app store and created a usb install media. Never used AirDisplay.

Please find screen shot of system report

You should remove any serial numbers from your screenshot. People can take them for use in Hackintoshes and it might create a world of hurt.

Reactions: Phillez

Phillez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Thank you for all your input. I figured out what was wrong. When I boot the MP with the HDMI cable attached in the RX 560 I never get the boot sound. If I plug it in after it has booted I works fine!

Trying to upgrade to Mojave now.

Reactions: Alex Sanders74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.