Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crystaniol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Hello to everybody. I would like to gather some information, using my old MacPro as a Fileserver/ Harddisc Station for my new MacbookPro... as i am handling a lot of Pixeldata i need a fast connection between them both, so Wlan is no option for me.

I just bought an Aukey USB-C PCI card, wich i hoped will do the Job for me, and connect my MP and My MBP. Unfortunate this was a stupid Idea that did not work out. The older Mac yust tells me that he doesn't support any Thunderboltdevices :/
Does any of you know a nice Solution to get the old MacPro running and serving as a decent fast HDD-Set for my MacBook?

thank you

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello to everybody. I would like to gather some information, using my old MacPro as a Fileserver/ Harddisc Station for my new MacbookPro... as i am handling a lot of Pixeldata i need a fast connection between them both, so Wlan is no option for me.

I just bought an Aukey USB-C PCI card, wich i hoped will do the Job for me, and connect my MP and My MBP. Unfortunate this was a stupid Idea that did not work out. The older Mac yust tells me that he doesn't support any Thunderboltdevices :/
Does any of you know a nice Solution to get the old MacPro running and serving as a decent fast HDD-Set for my MacBook?

thank you
Gigabit ethernet is the fastest way you can do it without going to the expense of 10Gb ethernet. That said, the old Mac Pros use a lot of power and put out a lot of heat, and you'd get better performance just plugging some fast storage straight into your MBP.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
Waste of time and money using the MP. Just get an external thunderbolt HDD box and fill it with SSDs.
Or get an external pcie enclosure and put pcie SSDs into it.

Sell the MP.

crystaniol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Gigabit ethernet is the fastest way you can do it without going to the expense of 10Gb ethernet. That said, the old Mac Pros use a lot of power and put out a lot of heat, and you'd get better performance just plugging some fast storage straight into your MBP.

hmmm that would have been nice, if it wasn't for a 600 eur 10GbaseT adaptor :/ you are right. but maybe the future will bring some new options... at least the old machine would probably go easily for around 100 bucks, i just checked...

ijust found this thread, and it sounds quite interesting

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-are-the-options-for-10gbe-on-mac-pros.1959937/
[doublepost=1507705114][/doublepost]
^^pretty much this. I'm sure the 5,1 could take on some more tasks to justify its power consumption. How are your backups situated?
yes you are right, that in mind i remember some article on the internet about a guy who tested his consumption in Server mode while he had the GPU disconnected or in some sleep state, and it wasn't much higer than with a NAS Thing.

And you are right the 5.1 does do pretty much good Stuff. Till 2 Weeks ago it was my Nø1 Machine doing Retouch work.

It still can do pretty much everything on a professional level. (filled with pciE SSD's, lots of RAM, USB3 pciE, a Radeon R9 and a lot of dust) Except Lightroom's 100% views kills the game, as editing large series is almost not possible. that said, you maybe understand that i would like to keep the 5.1 as backUp in case something happens to the Laptop. ... Work has to be done and does not wait for a up and running machine.

And yes, the BackUp solution... i got quite a bunch of Discs spinning and brzzling in the 5.1, doing Backups via an USB3 Sata-dock . so i always got 3 sets of internalHDDs lying around at different places for maximum security. Done via Chronosync...
[doublepost=1507705151][/doublepost]
Waste of time and money using the MP. Just get an external thunderbolt HDD box and fill it with SSDs.
Or get an external pcie enclosure and put pcie SSDs into it.

Sell the MP.

maybe keep your oppinion for you, as long as you don't know all facts. Your decision to give advice may not be so thoroughly thoughtfull and may seem unappropriate or as a unneccessary statement of a somewhat

dogmatic mind. :) take for example just the noise, a laptop produces in full operation. I would rather go a little slower that having that surrrrr all the time. My MacPro is supersilent, e.g.

And thank you for the PCIE enclosure hint. that is something i forgot to focus on, and maybe also a solution for the 10GBaseT idea.

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
You asked for an opinion on using a SATAII bus Mac Pro as a glorified hard drive enclosure for your MBP.
Of which my opinion is valid. It is a waste of time and money.
If what you want is a fast data storage solution, then buy a dedicated solution built to purpose.

You did not state anything about doing any work on the machine.
If that is what you were/planning on doing, then that should have been stated in the original Post.

Last edited:

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
hmmm that would have been nice, if it wasn't for a 600 eur 10GbaseT adaptor :/ you are right. but maybe the future will bring some new options... at least the old machine would probably go easily for around 100 bucks, i just checked...
Check out my post here. You can pick up a 10GbE SFP+ Dell X520-DA2 for very, very cheap on eBay these days and then use the following guide to make it macOS compatible.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-nics-to-use-small-tree-os-x-drivers.1968456/

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Using the 5,1 is clearly worth it for OP.

- the machine's paid for
- it's still capable and SILENT for their workloads
- can perform other functions (software update, time machine, crash plan, VPN, net boot, etc.)
- gives OP peace of mind as a backup workstation / insurance policy

Yeah, keep it in production! It'll go to sleep when not needed. You'll never notice it on your power bill, and the odd occasion it saves from downtime with a bootable CCC disk or serving as a spare machine to render or have a contractor work on... It'll more than pay for itself and you'll probably never miss the couple dollars a month it costs to run.

Save the whales and everything, but I think folks get a touch myopic about power consumption as the end-all, be-all metric to rule computing decisions.

Reactions: Squuiid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.