Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soundbase

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I was using Microsoft Remote Desktop to access my PC through the screensharing protocol, and it worked really well.

But now I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to another Mac on my network and its not working. It tries to connect and then fails with the following message: 'Unable to connect to remote PC. Please verify Remote Desktop is enabled.

All the remote management options are enabled on the other Mac, and can also get to it through the Mac's VNC screen sharing. But I just prefer Microsoft Remote Desktop over Apple built-in one.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong. I've set up the correct IP and everything. Just seems like MS Remote Desktop doesnt like connecting two Mac together, but a Mac and PC are fine

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I was using Microsoft Remote Desktop to access my PC through the screensharing protocol, and it worked really well.

But now I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to another Mac on my network and its not working. It tries to connect and then fails with the following message: 'Unable to connect to remote PC. Please verify Remote Desktop is enabled.

All the remote management options are enabled on the other Mac, and can also get to it through the Mac's VNC screen sharing. But I just prefer Microsoft Remote Desktop over Apple built-in one.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong. I've set up the correct IP and everything. Just seems like MS Remote Desktop doesnt like connecting two Mac together, but a Mac and PC are fine
Microsoft Remote Desktop can’t be used to screen share between Macs.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Microsoft Remote Desktop can’t be used to screen share between Macs.

Ditto. For Mac to Mac Remote Desktop, if you are logged in on both with the same iCloud account, you can connect via Finder by clicking the SHARE SCREEN button. For PC to Mac (or alternate for Mac to Mac), use a VNC client application such as VNC Viewer.

To Enable VNC client connections to the Mac, simply enable Screen Sharing in System Preferences. You can add a VNC password to make the connection more secure by clicking on Computer Settings in the Screen Sharing pane.

Edit: If your Macs have multiple user accounts, you can actually use the SHARE SCREEN option in Finder to connect to the other Mac using your user account, and the other user remains logged in on their account. This way, the Macs can have unique iCloud ID for each user, and two users can operate the same machine simultaneously. Obviously, you would need to have certain folders shared with both user accounts if you both need to access the same files.

Last edited:
Reactions: hobowankenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.