Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeizei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Upgraded to Safari 12 and found out that MS SharePoint plug-in is not working anymore. The plug-in is just not showing up anymore under Preferences > Websites > Plug-ins even though I have the plug-in files properly in place in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder. Also tried running the latest plug-in installer (.pkg) from the MS site linked above and rebooting but without luck.

It looks like this issue is related to Safari 12's discontinued support for NPAPI plug-ins. Safari 12 release notes says:

"Removed support for running legacy NPAPI plug-ins other than Adobe Flash"​

Likewise, MS Silverlight plug-in is not working anymore and according to my understanding it plays some role in using Sharepoint sites on Safari.

This issue is really critical to me as I can't anymore edit documents in SharePoint sites at my work! I'm also bit doubtful that Microsoft would release any fix to this shortly...

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any more insight about this issue?

2. The Sharepoint plug-in was working fine in the previous version of Safari (11.1.2). Is there any way to downgrade Safari back to previous version? Unfortunately I don't have Time Machine or any other backups of the operating system.
  3. Any other ideas how to solve or circumvent this issue?

Any comments would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.