Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mamlukman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
After several months of soul searching I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday. I tested all the apps, and everything appeared to work OK.

But today I found a problem--if I cut and paste a photo into a Word for Mac 2011 document, I can't resize it. Before, I just grabbed the little square in the corner of the photo and dragged. Now the squares are still there in the corners, and you can see the size in the ruler change as you drag, but the photo itself doesn't change. I've tried holding down various combinations of keys, but that doesn't make a difference.

A hint might be that a box pops up "Word could not create the work file. Check your...." which has to do with free space on the disk. But I have tons (340 gb) of free space.

Any thoughts?
[doublepost=1462201616][/doublepost]Solved my problem--it appears the "word could not create the work file" error is very common. Another forum suggested closing Word, then opening terminal and giving the command "sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /". I did this, it fixed a bunch of permissions, and when I re-opened Word it didn't give me the "word could not create..." error and poof, I could now resize pasted photos by dragging the squares again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.