Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Ok, I've just purchased the Nikon P6000 from Jessops. £329.00, not bad but the sales guy said how crap the Nikon's were compared to the Canon & they had the Canon D1000 on for £399.00. Was tempted but can't really push to that much, plus I brought this to take on holiday to Sardinia later this year plus weddings & other things comming up I thought I would stick to the compact. Now, getting home & with it out of the box in front of me & having a play with it, I feel cheated & now feel like the salesman has placed doubt in my my mind that the Nikon isn't really that good or up to the job. I will admit I am a complete novice with photography, but playing with my dad's Canon 450 DSLR; it doesn't feel right using a compact. I mean, my girlfriends got the Sony 8Mp camera phone, so I could use that as my compact. Am I being a snob, should I upgrade already as that was an option given by the salesman. 30 days to exchange he told me!? someone PLEASE HELP ME!?!?! I can go swap it tomorrow then. Thank you...

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
1000D is what I think he meant, in the US it is known as the Rebel XS.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Sorry, the salesman said it was the D1000. Oops. haha

I was just wondering whether I should get an DSLR or a Compact DSLR. But using the Nikon P6000 more, I do like it. I just had doubt put into my mind by the salesman thats all. I will eventually get an SLR, but will probably go for a Canon as my Dad's got one & friends also have Canon's with many type's of lenses between them.

Cheers for everyones help.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
If you want a small camera to carry with you everywhere and not look like a total nerd (or at least feel like one) the p6000 is a fine camera. Don't worry about jessops.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
If you want a small camera to carry with you everywhere and not look like a total nerd (or at least feel like one) the p6000 is a fine camera. Don't worry about jessops.

I thought that. I used to work in Sales myself but still thought the Canon would of been better. A male thing I suppose. But then sensibility started to hit home. Haha. I just wish when people sell, they sell like they should, retaining the information of the customer requirements then give the products, see their response, then.... try to up sell, but not slag off every other make that doesn't get them more commission. Won't be telling any of my mates to go there... thinking about it. Why didn't I ask where they went? Grrr....

Can't wait to get a good DSLR when I can afford one. Are there any good Photography web sites, I know of the Magazine sites & google & flicker & so on..... but are there any real decent ones? Thinking I might create one myself. Something will all the websites rolled into one? Hmmm......:cool:

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
but not slag off every other make that doesn't get them more commission.

When I worked at Jessops (admittedly about 8 years ago) there was no such thing as commission. It may have changed since then but I don't think so.

The camera you got is fine. It all depends on what you want to do, however from what you have described, the Nikon you have is fine.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you want a DSLR then get one. But then you will have to choose a brand, Canon, Nikon ,Pentax and whatever and you will need to select BOTh a body and at least one lens. SLRs are "systems" that will grow over time as you buy more lenses and flash units and so on. Plan out the system you would like to have first. then buy a body and a lens to start with

Compact camera are self contained units that you by, use and then trash. SLRs are systems that you buy and then upgrade "forever". you will replace the body and buy and sell lenses but the "system" lasts forever. So choose the system you can live with.

But compacts have their place because they are "compact". SLRs are large cameras that you use when your primary activity is photography. Compacts are for when the camera is just along while you do something else.

Milessio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
A digital compact is not inferior to a DSLR. They have different strengths (e.g. how many DSLRs have built-in GPS?). Experience of using the A,S,M modes & flash will help when moving up to a DSLR.

I guess most here have a compact in addition to their DSLR.

Most compacts are stand-alone items, except the Nikon which can accept an external flash. If you will probably buy a Canon DSLR in the future, it might be better to buy a Canon G9-10, so you can use the same flash for both.

Whatever you do, carry your camera with you, experiment, review & be happy with what you have bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.