Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxelre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
Ok so I bought my D40 today and I'm already wondering which lenses should I get. I don't want to spend thousands on lenses so I was wondering if there are "multi-purpose" lenses that can be used for several occasions:confused: (macro, tele, etc)

Thx in advance!

Jan 30, 2006
I think the only option would be the 18-200 Nikkor.

It covers wide and telephoto ranges. It costs around $650 USD.

EDIT: But I guess you already have the kit lens right?

If yes, waiting a couple of months is a good idea. You may find that you really don't need the telephoto range, and would prefer a dedicated macro lens, or that you want a fast wide lens, or a super wide lens. Just take at least 2000 photos and see what kind of photos you have, and what are you missing (believe me, these 2000 photos would be achieved in very little time:)).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The laws of physics limit us a bit with all-purpose lenses. You can't easily diffract light over a number of different focal lengths while also maintaining quality and "speed" (lots of light).

The 18-200mm is probably the best example of an all-around lens. It isn't Nikon's best lens, but it is still a great performer.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Although I bet that if some company put their mind to it, they *could* create a high-quality lens with a focal length of anywhere from 18 to 400mm..

Although it would be a completely useless (not to mention EXPENSIVE) exercise..

Go with the 18-200mm, as previously mentioned.

mxelre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
Ok thanks guys for the advice! Btw, I'm just starting in photography and I keep seeing those UV filters on different lenses. What are they used for? Are they essential?

Sorry I got an awful lot of questions:rolleyes:

Thx

Jan 30, 2006
This article explains a little.

Basically they are for protection of the lens. I have one for all my lenses to prevent damage of the fron element. They are not very expensive, so it is wise to have one for each lens in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.