Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
So,
I don't know much about this game.

I bought it from appstore for 8€ for my and my daughter's iphone.
I thought we could play this together.

Then, a LOT of googling browsing, setting up µ$-accounts, their xbox-versions, tweaking restrictions...
Guides talk about PE-version, never explaining what's that. Is iOS versio PE?
What's a bedrock version?
Why the guides point to that, when my daughter can't add me as her friend?

Considering how popular this game is, It is totally mindblowing what kind of mess is the support and guides for this!

Do we both first go to one of those 6 servers?
Do we need to be on a same wifi? Many times we would just use cellular data with phones...
Do you have to pay 10€ / month (Realms) to play with your daughter in a same play?

Wiki says: "Multiplayer in Minecraft enables multiple players to interact and communicate with each other on a single world. It is available through direct game-to-game multiplayer, LAN play, local split screen (console-only), and servers (player-hosted and business-hosted)."
IMHO, this text can't be understood otherwise than these are FOUR (4) options available (3 without a console). Or is there only one: using a server and these are all dofferent methods to use the server?

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I guess that iOS version is PE, even there's no mention of this name ("Pocket Edition") in AppStore, but there's a lot of instructions to this version...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
One major thing I don't know is, that when using xabox-account in iOS Minecraft, is it considered to be in "xbox one online" or "windows 10 online" or "xbox 360 online"...

MacNerd01

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2021
The Psionic Plane
Okay, I can answer all of your questions:

1. Yes, PE stands for pocket edition, the version on iPhone, iPad, and Android.

2. Bedrock is the version of Minecraft you are using. “Java” is only available on Windows and Mac, and “Bedrock” is available on everything but Mac (windows, iOS, consoles, etc.) You can’t play between the two, eg. if you were on java and your daughter on bedrock, you could not play with each other

3. Explaining the whole multiplayer thing, like you said, there are three ways to do multiplayer on mobile.
  • LAN multiplayer: to do this, you both have to be on the same wifi network, and one of you starts a world. The other can join from the “Friends” menu. This doesn’t require an Xbox live account, you just both need to have Minecraft.
  • Online multiplayer: to do this, you both need to be signed into your Microsoft/Xbox Live account in Minecraft, and then one of you starts a world and the other joins from the Friends menu.
  • Servers: Both the easiest and most complicated option. There are two ways to do this, as the wiki said…
    • Business-hosted. The easy option. Just go to the Servers tab and both tap the same server. There are lots to pick from, like Hypixel and Lifeboat. These servers have minigames like spleef and PvP (look it up), and they also have just plain survival and creative if that’s what you want :) Do keep in mind though that you are playing on a public server, anyone can join, and a lot of people play on them.
    • Self-hosted. The harder option, a lot more fiddling with settings, but possible. I run a server with Aternos (aternos.org) that is free. Basically you set up a private server, and then you take the IP (something like sampleserver.aternos.me) and the port (a five-digit number) and plug them into the “add server“ button.
Hope that answers your questions, and sorry for the incredibly long wait for someone to answer this thread. Feel free to reply to this thread and/or PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
macnerd01

Reactions: toke lahti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.