Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
That's really great though. My family keeps telling me to share my location while on road trips, but I keep forgetting. This is good, since it's automatic.

Unless I get kidnapped.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I just came from reddit reading this. I thought it was odd that a report involving a traffic accident would cite an iphone feature in the headline. A way of attracting more readers perhaps?
Was probably cited because the crash victims weren’t laying out there for hours before help arrived

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I just came from reddit reading this. I thought it was odd that a report involving a traffic accident would cite an iphone feature in the headline. A way of attracting more readers perhaps?

Bingo. Any way to put Apple in a headline will attract clicks / readers.

Nobody cares if Onstar detects a crash and contacts emergency services.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011

I didn’t think anything of it. The iPhone crash detection was just part of a tragic event.
Onstar contacting emergency services is probably pretty common. Onstar has been available for quite awhile.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Because this was one of onstars core features? And not every vehicle has onstar. It’s the first phone to do this type of thing reliably. (And before you say Pixel had it first...I did use the word reliably)

Last edited:

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
Incredibly tragic story. It’s too bad that they all passed on, but the silver lining (if there is one) is we all know now that the new crash detection feature does it job, even if it didn’t happen to get the help there in time. That, however, is due to the severity of the crash, whether they were wearing seatbelts, how the crash happened, etc, rather than due to the tech or the first responders. I’m just glad to know that if I am in a wreck and am unable to contact emergency services myself, my phone will do it.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.