Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aboswell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
I bought a secondhand Imac this year. It wa being used by a graphic design company that is now out of business. It has been running well so far, but now the storage is “maxed out” and I cannot even download iOS updates. The “system” memory is completely full (I have noticed this is a software issue for some people).

But what I have discovered is that there are 2 hard drives. One small one that appears to be running the iOS and another large one that just seems to be used for storage.

However, everything is being downloaded/updated to the small drive and it is maxed out and I assume a full hard drive will also affect the speed/performance of the MAC. Why would they lay it out like this??

I’m planning on reinstalling Mohave now. I have it on a bootable USB drive. Can someone give recommendations on how to layout/format/install across 2 hard drives to optimise the performance of this MAC. I’d assume using the bigger drive with more storage would allow for less problems and faster hard drive speed. Am I missing soemthing? Appreciate rhe help!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Do you have Mojave installed now?
If not, what OS is installed?

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
When you boot up, and get to the finder, do you see ONE hard drive icon, or do you see TWO of them?

If you see TWO, you -might- have an iMac that originally had a "fusion drive", but the two internal drives that were "fused together" are now UN-fused.

We need to know that before going further.

Reactions: smirk

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
The one hard drive in the iMac may be partitioned into a System and Data partition. That's how ALL of our Macs have been setup since before OS X. Use Disk Utility to see all the mounted drives and partitions.

GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.