Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Why is it still such a problem within iOS? The BlackBerry 10 OS (BB10) could handle 3 different languages at the same time without any problems whatsoever, and that was like 7 years ago now I think, on my BlackBerry Passport for example. Now, in iOS 18, Apple is trying to do two languages at the same time and it's basically just the same, because I still need three different keyboards because of the different layouts (extra/different characters), and the autocorrect is still quite far from being intuitive. With the iPhone X Apple copied the 'swipe interface' from BlackBerry 10), so how come they can't achieve the same with the keyboard?

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Agreed, the way the two-language keyboard is implemented in iOS 18 so far is quite confusing. I regularly use both English and French and had to actually delete the combined keyboard and install separate English and French ones to get the relevant keyboard layouts and spellchecker working as they should.

Reactions: Barbareren

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
Yeah it is strange. I am using German and English.

Before iOS 18 I only had the German Keyboard active and the dictionary for English also active. It switched perfectly. There is no difference to know except I can change keyboard to the English one if I press the mic and choose English. To change it back, I need to to the same.
So if you have 2 Keyboards you choose the globe and change keyboard. If you are using the dual Keyboard in iOS18 you can change it with the dictionary option. Very strange.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
You can achieve it under the same keyboard. You just need to click on the language in your keyboards overview and then add the second language. Works fine for me but yes, it doesn’t work with 3 languages unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.png
    IMG_0084.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 10

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I know how it works, my point is just that it doesn’t work well. It didn’t before, and unfortunately it hasn’t gotten better with iOS 18.0. Personally I use three very different languages daily and it keeps being frustrating to me. At least the English autocorrect seems to have gotten somewhat better - it was a complete mess in iOS17.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
Just a disclaimer for anyone who wants to use a multilingual keyboard: Apple changed the way it works with iOS 18.

You needed to add a second keyboard languages to have it work prior iOS 18. Now you need to add the second language to an existing keyboard language.

Example: let’s say you added a English keyboard. Now you need to click on that keyboard and there will be button to add a second language. Like I already said it worked different under iOS 17.

Reactions: Frantisekj

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
We all know that. The problem, like I’ve been trying to explain, is that it doesn’t work well for those of us who are multilingual. Basically, it hasn’t improved at all in iOS 18.0.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
We all know that. The problem, like I’ve been trying to explain, is that it doesn’t work well for those of us who are multilingual. Basically, it hasn’t improved at all in iOS 18.0.
I am multilingual. German/English combination on iOS 18 works fine for me and better than with 17.

The only annoying part is that I also need to add Turkish and Japanese as separate keyboards and that it doesn’t recognize those languages automatically when typing. I have to manually switch the keyboard.

Like you already mentioned, the better way would be to have one keyboard and being able to add more than 2 languages. But autocorrect with German/English works fine, no problems here.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
It doesn’t work fine, who are you kidding, the autocorrect remains atrocious. Don’t tell me you can use an English layout perfectly fine with German.

Yes, I very much agree with your last sentence, that was my whole point. The technology is there, the question is why Apple still hasn’t taken use of it.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
Like I said, it works for me. Take a look. I switched to German while writing an English sentence.

I only had to trigger the German language by writing a German word and it started correcting me.

IMG_0085.png

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Thank you. Well, if it works for you, that’s great.

Just a simple example: Try writing the very common Norwegian word «prøve» (which means to try) using the English (or Spanish) qwerty keyboard (combined with Norwegian) and the only suggestion you’ll get will be the English word «prove». The problem is with the autocorrect or the word suggestions. It won’t even appear as a suggestion. That’s the problem. And using the Norwegian layout is more cumbersome due to the three extra letters in the alphabet. The Spanish and English combination has improved a little bit in iOS 18.0, I’ll give you that.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
It doesn’t work fine, who are you kidding, the autocorrect remains atrocious. Don’t tell me you can use an English layout perfectly fine with German.

Yes, I very much agree with your last sentence, that was my whole point. The technology is there, the question is why Apple still hasn’t taken use of it.
And imagine guys. I am using occasionally up to 7 languages 😢. But if dual language keyboard will be working well even with less frequent languages, it could be savior for me. Because even iOS can remember language used in last conversation, apps has to implement support for that and some never did. It results in total frustration from constantly writing in wrong keyboard. And dual language mode was somewhat not usable at least for me in iOS 17.

It is first time in long time I have not jumped into beta program and still on iOS 17. It has some practical reasons as well but well working keyboard would be after 15 iterations big plus lol

Reactions: Barbareren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.