Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyroverly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Danville PA
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone out there uses more than one webcam when making Skype calls?

I Skype with my mother a few times a weeks so she can see my kids and I recently put a webcam on my TV. The problem is, I sit at my iMac which is next to the TV so she can only see the kids and not me. I was able to use a program called ManyCam to get both feeds to show in Skype but the free version is quite poor and it really kills the quality of the webcams. It also reduces the FPS of the feed as well. I have no problem paying a few dollars for a decent app but I felt ManyCam is a bit overpriced. Do folks have any alternatives to add multiple webcam feeds to Skype?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Not many devs out there that are more responsive than the coders of Manycam, the paid version doesn't suck nearly as bad as the free version. Two friends of mine use it (the paid version), and it's pretty slick. But...

I opted for a Logitech webcam with a wide field of view, a newer C930e - Logitech even offers a Mac version of a firmware updater. We also use the wider field Pro Webcam in the office - it's frickin' sweet, no Mac driver needed, and a very wide field of view.

I tired of trying to "make it work" and just opted to spend a bit more to get better hardware (3-year warranty with Logitech) and much better Mac support. I'd rather pop $105 for a C930e than $50 for Manycam, but that's just me (I did...).

randyroverly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Danville PA
I'm currently using the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 plus the iMac's built in webcam, so I know what you mean. I think I'll look a little bit more before I decide on ManyCam but I'm glad you told me the paid version is much better than the free one. Thanks for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.