Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't know if it's good/safe to ask this here, but a friend just built a 'server' and wants to use it as a 'media/music server', ironically 'just like your Apple system'.

:rolleyes:

He's afraid of being 'converted' to the Apple Way. I suggested, wild stab in the dark, Winamp? Apple used that early on in their timeline for the iPod, and I didn't know if it was still around, and suitable.

I'm still working on him for ;the Apple Way', but who knows...

Thanks for any advice. (Funny, he did mention using XP Media Center, which I told him sucked and isn't (gratefully) available any more)

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I don't know if it's good/safe to ask this here, but a friend just built a 'server' and wants to use it as a 'media/music server', ironically 'just like your Apple system'.

:rolleyes:

He's afraid of being 'converted' to the Apple Way. I suggested, wild stab in the dark, Winamp? Apple used that early on in their timeline for the iPod, and I didn't know if it was still around, and suitable.

I'm still working on him for ;the Apple Way', but who knows...

Thanks for any advice. (Funny, he did mention using XP Media Center, which I told him sucked and isn't (gratefully) available any more)

Plex?

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Kodi, VLC, Plex, ... there are hundreds! we use Kodi and plugins etc for a full Dlna and iHomeserver setup across every kind of device imaginable by wifi and Bluetooth. ( even remotely )

ThankYouRob

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
We use a Plex media server in our house, very nice, plus works very well with apps for AppleTV, AndroidTV, iOS, Android. Updated regularly. Well worth it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
How would VLC work as a media server? I thought it was only a content viewer, like Flash, or QuickTime.

I'm looking at the others. Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I don't get to 'the dark side' enough I guess...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I'm thinking this guy wants 'point and click', and although I've looked at VLC, and have used it on occasion, the streaming process sounds fraught with calls to me to help him figure it out.

I think he needs a Mac Mini, and a couple Apple TV's, and probably an Airport Express hooked to an amplifier somewhere, but he's not at all likely to go that route.

I mean, my setup wowed him. We have a Russound unit, and can deliver audio and video anywhere. It's pretty awesome, when everything works together. When... Apple Remote to change music, Apple TV to watch videos and other content. It's Jetson's...:eek:

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
Plex and Emby are the biggest ones for local content. Then there is Kodi for the more adventurous folks. lol

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am a Kodi fan however, I highly suggest you take a look at JRiver Media Center. It should give you some ideas of what can be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.