Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
I have tons of CDs and other files (bootlegs, music made by friends etc.) from USB sticks that I have slowly been importing in to Music.app for the last couple of weeks, and I'm just confused because I was only expecting to be able play those songs from the Mac I'd imported them on to. The majority of them are not available for sale in iTunes, and therefore would not normally be available via iTunes Match (I have an Apple Music subscription). Yet I am able to download the imported tracks to my iPhone and other devices. I'm not complaining, but I can't find any information about this anywhere. Tl;dr, I thought Apple Music tracks only synced across devices when those tracks were available in iTunes?

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
I have tons of CDs and other files (bootlegs, music made by friends etc.) from USB sticks that I have slowly been importing in to Music.app for the last couple of weeks, and I'm just confused because I was only expecting to be able play those songs from the Mac I'd imported them on to. The majority of them are not available for sale in iTunes, and therefore would not normally be available via iTunes Match (I have an Apple Music subscription). Yet I am able to download the imported tracks to my iPhone and other devices. I'm not complaining, but I can't find any information about this anywhere. Tl;dr, I thought Apple Music tracks only synced across devices when those tracks were available in iTunes?

No. Itunes Match fuctionality is fully included in the AM subscription . Therefore, you can upload albums which are not in the AM catalogue, or match your local files that are, and access them all, including the AM content that you have added to your library, from all your devices.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
From Apple:

If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog. You can also get a Family Membership to share the catalog with your family members. Learn more about joining Apple Music.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
I get the marketing blurb from Apple about Apple Music, but nowhere does it explicitly say that any audio file you import to the Music app will sync to the cloud, I find that interesting.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
OK, so here are the details I was really interested in regarding tracks uploaded that were not matchable with iTunes tracks: "Any songs that don't match to the iTunes catalog will be uploaded to iCloud in their original form, save for tracks that are too low-quality (under 92kbps), too long (over two hours), too big (over 200MB), or you aren't authorized to play (say, a song from another user's iTunes account that you don't have the username and password to unlock)."

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
OK, so here are the details I was really interested in regarding tracks uploaded that were not matchable with iTunes tracks: "Any songs that don't match to the iTunes catalog will be uploaded to iCloud in their original form, save for tracks that are too low-quality (under 92kbps), too long (over two hours), too big (over 200MB), or you aren't authorized to play (say, a song from another user's iTunes account that you don't have the username and password to unlock)."
The limit for non matchable tracks is 100000 which should be more than enough for most people.

Reactions: lozion

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Bumping this as I subscribed to Apple Music yesterday in the hope of transfering all my library form my iPad to my newly bought iPhone.
The original iPad library was built over time from cd's and digitized vynils and added via a iTunes account from my Mac Pro that I since sold so no more iTunes access. The idea is using Apple Music for its iTunes Match feature but I'm not sure this works as it should..

Sync library and automatic downloads are ticked on both devices but on the iPhone I often see this message:
IMG_0084.png

Is it because the source material hasn't uploaded yet?
isnt the library on the new device supposed to dl all material automatically? Its been syncing since las night but I have chosen Lossless, could it be the issue? Txs.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Probably just needs more time to sync.

I’m a bit confused by the comments about selling your Mac Pro and iTunes access. You did sync your CD rips with the cloud before selling your Mac, yes? That, or you had iTunes Match already?

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
no, I synced the library to my iPad via iTunes then wiped the Mac and sold it. I didnt use iTunes Match as it was not supported on a mobile device until Apple Music came out which offers the same function, hence me using it to copy the iPad library to the iPhone.

It seems to sloowly be copying over the phone but still many songs are missing..

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
no, I synced the library to my iPad via iTunes then wiped the Mac and sold it. I didnt use iTunes Match as it was not supported on a mobile device until Apple Music came out which offers the same function, hence me using it to copy the iPad library to the iPhone.

It seems to sloowly be copying over the phone but still many songs are missing..

I´m confused. For ripped/local content, yo do need to upload the songs via Apple Music/Itunes Match using a computer. This cannot be done from an IOS device.

In other words, if you have them stored on your Ipad, they wont upload to your Icloud Music Library automatically.

You need a computer for that (with Itunes or the Music app).

.I didnt use iTunes Match as it was not supported on a mobile device until Apple Music came out

Itunes Match worked on IOS (and Apple TV´s), since launch day, back in 2011.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I´m confused. For ripped/local content, yo do need to upload the songs via Apple Music/Itunes Match using a computer. This cannot be done from an IOS device.

In other words, if you have them stored on your Ipad, they wont upload to your Icloud Music Library automatically.

You need a computer for that (with Itunes or the Music app).

.I didnt use iTunes Match as it was not supported on a mobile device until Apple Music came out

Itunes Match worked on IOS (and Apple TV´s), since launch day, back in 2011.
Ah I see, so my digitized vinyls wont sync then, that sucks..
I meant iTunes Match didn't support "mobile to mobile" sync, only "Mac to Mobile"..

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Ah I see, so my digitized vinyls wont sync then, that sucks..
I meant iTunes Match didn't support "mobile to mobile" sync, only "Mac to Mobile"..
That´s correct but Apple Music cloud library feature (which since 2016 is identical to Itunes Match), behaves the same way.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
That´s correct but Apple Music cloud library feature (which since 2016 is identical to Itunes Match), behaves the same way.
Yes, which is what I misunderstood. I now have a copy on both devices of all the songs that can be found on Apple Music but none of my digitized tracks from my vinyls. Shame..

Question: What happens if I dont renew my subscription? All the tracks who were copied to the 2nd device will vanish? What about the ones who were on my iPad but were re-downloaded to change the resolution to Lossless? Txs.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Yes, which is what I misunderstood. I now have a copy on both devices of all the songs that can be found on Apple Music but none of my digitized tracks from my vinyls. Shame..

Question: What happens if I dont renew my subscription? All the tracks who were copied to the 2nd device will vanish? What about the ones who were on my iPad but were re-downloaded to change the resolution to Lossless? Txs.

They wont vanish for 90 days (in case that you change your mind and resubscribe), but they wont be playable anymore (will get greyed out).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.