Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
What should I invest in first?

I have the 18-55mm vr and 55-200mm vr lens

should i invest in another lens? or flash? or tripod? or etc..
:eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What is your skill level? I always say a sturdy tripod (as much tripod as you can possibly afford) as well as good glass. If you're just starting out, get that tripod and go out and find what interests you most. Then come back and ask your question. Buying endless and needless "accessories" is a fool's game.

filmweaver

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
I have a D-70 and I bought the remote shutter control, it was about $14.00 and well worth the price. I hope your model has this capability, if so buy it.

Nicholie

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Al
Tripod first. Then Speedlight. You can pick small things like the wireless remote any time. Then... new glass. By then you should know exactly what new glass you need or want.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Ignore the tripod advice unless you have found yourself in a specific situation where you have thought gee it sure would be nice if I had a tripod for this... Sure a tripod is necessary for certain areas of photography but for many it isn't, I think you would be best served with a speedlight, even if it is a SB-400 that you mount on camera and bounce of the ceiling, that will make a world of difference for any indoors type portraits you will do.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
SB-600 is great if you don't mind the extra bulk, but for many a SB-400 is all they need, it doesn't protrude much and is easy to take everywhere.

forbes

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
I've got a D60, and recently got an SB400 and a tripod. My photos are mainly of family etc, indoors, so I've used the flash unit lots and love the pictures I got from it. It is small so is easy to carry around, but can still bounce off the ceiling to get soft light effect.

In contrast, I have not used the tripod at all yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.