Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
So thanks to the fine people that helped me out with this on MR (wheezy, anubis, juanster, ChrisA, among others...) I took their advise and this is what i got:

i think its a dam good first try if i do say so myself!
thanks guys, i will keep experimenting.

Attachments

• HDR1.2.jpg
    HDR1.2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 212

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I like it. It's much better than my first attempt which I would be embarrassed to post anywhere. Which method did you use?

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Just 3 different exposures of the scene (taken on the camera rather than generating my own) then using photomatrix to 'fiddle' for awhile until some mildly good came out the other end. :)

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
i tried it in a trial version on cs4 and it just comes no where near photomatrix for HDR stuff, its good.

rjg001

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
Nice shot.

Interestingly, I think my first HDR was one of my best because I didn't try to do too much. The next several times I tried it, I always seemed to over process the photo or simply couldn't get it to come out the way I wanted.

jv-iphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Sorry but it really just looks like an normal photo, the thing about HDR is the detail that is brought out throughout the whole pictures and the vibrant colors, you might want to do some more tonal mapping, alot of detail is lost in the trees.. here is an example of my first HDR, you could see from the original normal exposure and the final HDR composite with Tonal mapping the detail that is brought out in the fence and trees..keep working on it..

courts_before.jpg

courts_hdr.jpg

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I disagree. I think grooveattack's new HDR effort is pretty good. Lots of detail, good choice of scenery this time, and a pretty good tone mapping effort.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I disagree. I think grooveattack's new HDR effort is pretty good. Lots of detail, good choice of scenery this time, and a pretty good tone mapping effort.

I disagree also, just because an HDR image isn't over the top doesn't mean it does not have merit. I think with this particular image his restraint may have improved the outcome.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Not bad. Next time I would go for a scene at a different time of day, it looks like you took the images at high noon when the lighting is not so great.

Sorry but it really just looks like an normal photo, the thing about HDR is the detail that is brought out throughout the whole pictures and the vibrant colors, you might want to do some more tonal mapping, alot of detail is lost in the trees.. here is an example of my first HDR, you could see from the original normal exposure and the final HDR composite with Tonal mapping the detail that is brought out in the fence and trees..keep working on it..

I'm not particularly enamored with your image either. First of all the scene is too flat to begin with- there's no added benefit to HDR. The HDR image is uninteresting other than what seems to be some sort of a white halo around the trees after the post processing (I see little to no difference in the fence, personally). I guess there is a little more detail in the sky, but other than that there's not a whole lot of contrast to bring out. There aren't any vibrant colors to be brought out either, mostly due to the early-evening lighting conditions.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Sorry but it really just looks like an normal photo,

Have you been to an area like that or tried to take a photo like that one? The HDR brought out a lot I would say. I can look at that shot and imagine what the original was like. There are color combinations in a shot like that that will only be visilbe with multiple exposures. I think it is a great shot, and an excellent first attempt at HDR.

I would agree however that a different time of day with some angle to the light source would add a lot.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yeah the light was massive headache. All weekend it was gray and over cast so i could not be picky, but thanks for the comments.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I guess everyone would like to see the original..
in my opinion it's a great HDR, did you use a tripod? tried AEB and BULB mode?in order to get less motion as there was probably wind that moved the trees and leaves through the shots? I might be wrong though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.