Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
i accidently dent my 2016 13 touch bar macbook pro, my heart is broken, any tools can fix this??

Attachments

• IMG_6483.JPG
    IMG_6483.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 613

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
That appears to be a small chunk missing.

Short of replacing the case, professional repair, or sanding it down (which will be very apparent because it will remove the anodized coating, resulting in multiple colors, and you might have to sand it so much it will alter the angle of that edge), you could try finding an epoxy putty in a matching color to the casing and building up small layers using a toothpick to apply until it fills in the area, and then carefully sand down the edges of the dried epoxy to make it match the dimensions of the case. You would probably need to prep the area to ensure good long-term bonding, and want to tape off the non-damaged areas to avoid damaging them more. The end result will still be visible, but less noticeable, and you would no longer have a sharp edge.

You may want to take something else that is aluminum, intentionally ding one of the edges, and practice this method a few times to ensure you can properly prep the surface without causing more damage, apply in the right amount, sand without causing more damage, and are ultimately happy enough with the outcome to then do it on the MBP. In fact, I highly recommend practicing this before trying it, so you know what you are getting yourself into, understand the technique needed to do it properly, and are able to see the end results (and how colors of epoxy can change some upon curing) before you fully commit to this on your expensive computer.

Last edited:

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Finaly someone know how to sand instead of replacing the whole surface, i might leave the dent because it is too risky to sand and i have no experience it may become more ugly if i sand.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but other than dabbing it with some touchup paint, I think you're stuck with it. I'm sorry. Or if it really bothers you, you could sell your MBP, take a hit on it and turn around and purchase another one.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Honestly it isn't that big, but it's more noticeable because of the color contrast. You might see if you can get some paint that closely matches the color of the anodization and just dab it over the dent. It would also have the benefit of filling in the tiny peaks and valleys in the dent and smooth it out.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
In short there's nothing you can do and I would strongly advise you to just leave it. Any 'fix' will carry a large amount of certainty of making it much worse and more noticeable than it is at the moment.

The only thing I could think to do would be use an epoxy filler (Specially formulated for aluminium, like JB Weld). However this would need sanding and would be extremely delicate to do. It would also likely need some touchup to blend it in. But nothing would completely remove it, just make it less visible. And in my experience a 'fixed' chip looks more noticeable than a chip, given the small area and it being on the edge. If it were the middle of a car door it'd be far less visible.

So live with it or put a case on it. At least you'll probably be extra protective of it/future devices now!

Reactions: tianhuailiu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.