Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzxred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Purchased this MacBook Pro Retina 15 2015 in 2017, this laptop has been meticulously maintained and remains in pristine condition without any scratches or dents. It has been protected by a hardshell case and keyboard cover since day one.

Running both macOS Mojave and Windows 10 via Bootcamp, the system functioned flawlessly until yesterday. While connected to an LG 4K monitor, the Windows 10 environment briefly displayed a black screen before returning to normal. Upon restarting the laptop this morning, it initially displayed a purple screen with uneven edges, followed by a grey screen, and then the notorious multi-language error screen, before entering a continuous restart loop.

Is there an easy fix for this issue, or is the graphics card potentially failing? Despite owning an M1 MacBook Air, I am very fond of this laptop.

Dual graphic card model
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_7140.jpg

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Did you try a safe boot?
(hold down shift key continuously after pressing power on button)

Safe boot will bypass the discrete GPU and boot from integrated graphics (only).
If a safe boot gives you a "good boot", whereas a "regular boot" (using discrete GPU) does not, then it may be a GPU "gone bad".

At 9 years old, probably not worth replacing (not sure whether entire motherboard needs replacement on that one, or not).

nzxred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Did you try a safe boot?
(hold down shift key continuously after pressing power on button)

Safe boot will bypass the discrete GPU and boot from integrated graphics (only).
If a safe boot gives you a "good boot", whereas a "regular boot" (using discrete GPU) does not, then it may be a GPU "gone bad".

At 9 years old, probably not worth replacing (not sure whether entire motherboard needs replacement on that one, or not).
didn't work, straight went to purple screen.

Mine got replaced new screen, new keyboard, new battery and new logic board in 2020 under Apple Care, so basically only 4 years old lol

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
didn't work, straight went to purple screen.

Mine got replaced new screen, new keyboard, new battery and new logic board in 2020 under Apple Care, so basically only 4 years old lol
Have you tried running this app "gfxCardStatus" and manually select the IRIS Pro integrated graphics to rule out the R9 M370X dedicated GPU?

Here is the link to download this app if you have not tried doing this.

I would give this a try and see if the integrated GPU corrects this issue, then you would know which GPU is bad.

I have two 15-inch 2015 DG MBPs and have this app installed on both.

nzxred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Have you tried running this app "gfxCardStatus" and manually select the IRIS Pro integrated graphics to rule out the R9 M370X dedicated GPU?

Here is the link to download this app if you have not tried doing this.

I would give this a try and see if the integrated GPU corrects this issue, then you would know which GPU is bad.

I have two 15-inch 2015 DG MBPs and have this app installed on both.
Could not even get into the system to run this app unfortunately

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
looks like the dedicated radeon is dying. Maybe try to get a mobo with only integrated gpu and swap it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.