Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabenatbrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 12.43.29 PM-1.png
These are the specs of his iMac. He's interested in upgrading certain aspects of his computer so that it can run Photoshop & Lightroom much faster.

We have the opportunity to snag some Macbook Pro's below. Are any of these going to be better than what he has now? If not, what should/can we upgrade to get a faster performance?
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 11.47.49 AM.png

Thanks!

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
What's your storage? SSD, HDD or Fusion ?

also stop using buggy Adobe, their software it's a total BS

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The 1TB Fusion drive is pretty slow, compared to the SSD models. If I am not mistaken, the 1TB FD model only has 24GB of flash store. Fill the drive up to 50% or more, and the read / write speeds suffer as the other half of the fusion drive is a mechanical disk drive. Combine that with using software that may not be optimized for the new iMac screen models, and it can make for a frustrating experience.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
The 1TB Fusion drive is pretty slow, compared to the SSD models. If I am not mistaken, the 1TB FD model only has 24GB of flash store. Fill the drive up to 50% or more, and the read / write speeds suffer as the other half of the fusion drive is a mechanical disk drive. Combine that with using software that may not be optimized for the new iMac screen models, and it can make for a frustrating experience.

Yep. If he has used an SSD in other computers, launching apps with a fusion drive is going to be noticeably slower.

PBinCT

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
Watertown, CT
Adobe's graphic artist programs, particularly Lightroom, are slow on any platform. They haven't had much competition until recently and are in need of a major upgrade to take advantage of advances in graphics cards, RAM, etc.

So, you will not see tremendous improvements with a new iMac, but when Adobe updates their software (hopefully soon), you will be able to take advantage of your new software.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Get an external SSD, its the simplest, easiest solution and its very fast. I'm running off an external drive right now and its quite speedy.

Hey...as you know I traded my MBP for a new 5K 27". It's top level i7 with 580 8GB video card. I've got 40 GB ram total and the 2 TB fusion drive.

I'd like to add a couple of SSD drives...what're you using for your externals?

Thanks,

R

Luxtrau

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
Germany
I can confirm that Adobe CC Programs are absolutely not using the Macs hardware at its full potential! The new iMac is so fast but Photoshop etc. feels so slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.