Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

oakrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
There are several threads to this, wasn't sure where to post, wanted to share my solution for a keyboard and case for my M4 IPP 13"

I wanted something that
  • had a case to protect my IPP but was lightweight enough it wouldn't bother me if I was just reading, playing - and that the case could come off easily so I could also use the IPP naked when I wanted to
  • had a keyboard and trackpad for when I was traveling. I wasn't interested in turning my iPad into a laptop - there are apps that only run (well) on Mac OS, so I have a MBP
  • allowed me to use iPad in both vertical and horizontal orientations
I already had an Apple Smart Folio I'd purchased when I first got IPP. It works pretty well but doesn't have a keyboard, doesn't allow for vertical orientation, and it doesn't protect edges of IP for travel.

I tried several options:
  1. Apple MKB - great materials, but too $$$$, doesn't allow for vertical orientation, no protection when remove IP
  2. Logitech MKB - has a case when you remove KB, kind of heavy, still $$$, no vertical orientation
  3. ESR Rebound - has a case when off the KB, does vertical/horizontal, pretty good protection - but I didn't like the viewing angle, and heavier than I wanted
  4. Considered a skin, screen protector, and separate KB and stand to go with Folio case, but every screen protector degrades the beautiful OLED display, and one of my primary uses for IP is to display photos. Also, awkward to carry separate components.
WHAT WORKS FOR ME: ESR ASCENT KB + APPLE MAGIC FOLIO
  • I found I can keep IP in its folio case and, when sitting at a table, prop it up up in vertical or horizontal against the Ascent KB kickstand
  • I can close the Ascent KB around the IP while it's still in its Folio case, and I'm set to travel (Note: the Ascent comes with a magnetic case, but it doesn't have a screen cover. If that doesn't bother you, you could skip the Folio case, but I find the Folio doesn't weigh much more (if at all) than the Ascent case, offers, more protection, and comes off more easily
  • The Ascent KB has good action & trackpad. I'd prefer if it used Smart Connector rather than a battery, but that's no big deal for me
  • Note the ESR Ascent, with its kickstand, doesn't work great on a lap. It's useable - more than the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio (no longer available for IPP M4), but not a laptop replacement.
HOPE THIS HELPS ANY OF YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SIMILAR FOR YOU IPP

Reactions: Ludatyk and jazz1

oakrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
The first photo shows the IPP in Apple Folio (light blue) resting on top of ESR keyboard, with the rest of the ESR KB case flat. The 2nd photo shows the ESR case folds completely and closes over the Apple Folio.
IMG_2351.jpeg
IMG_2350.jpeg

The next two photos show IPP in Folio case resting vertically and horizontally on ESR
IMG_2347.jpeg
IMG_2346.jpeg

The last photo shows the ESR keyboard case unfolded, the Apple Folio to the right on the bottom, the modular separate ESR case (you can use instead of Apple Folio) to the top right. Not sure if you can see the ESR module has nothing on its right side - which means easy access to IPP buttons but no protection. The modular ESR case attaches magnetically (vertically or horizontally) to the ESR KB - more securely than the Apple Folio, so probably better if you’re using it as laptop
IMG_2344.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    585.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.