Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E-Tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
What are good sites to visit for tips etc I'm also a beginner and its my 1st camera.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I know you're looking for sites, but I do recommend you check out the Magic Lantern series of books, perhaps at your local bookstore. You could just read through in store and learn a lot about your camera. I used them when I first started, got lots of helpful hints. The sites Grimace suggested are very good. Lots of great tips there :)

E-Tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
thank you, I just ordered the book by the author who you recommended.

I will visit those site tomorrow since its getting late but thanks. :p

nightsky

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
Illustrated Tutorials

Adorama.com is a Camera Store in New York City and online, it has a nice illustrated D40 tutorial. I am new to digital photography too.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Nice choice of camera E-Tech, i use Nikons myself, a good site to use is http://www.nikonians.org/
any advice at all on anything from histograms to the exposure comp, to bracketing, these are the guys to ask, a lot of Pro photographers on hand with great advice. :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I may cause a stir, but you can check out http://www.kenrockwell.com go to technical. he has lots of tips, including pages on the D40.

{STIR}
Just don't take everything (most?) of what Ken says as gospel. His reliability information-wise is shaky, he seems to get all his "inside information" from DPReview forums and he's very willing to say almost anything for the hits.
{/STIR}

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
A great site

Congrats on the D40. I know you will enjoy taking better photos. Try the Nikon Cafe (nikoncafe.com ) for great tips and support. It is an online forum/community dedicated to Nikon users. There are pros and uber amateurs as well as newbies. The entire group are willing to help and exchange tips and ideas. They even have a section for us proud mac folks. You will find some familiar screen names from Apple sites. It seems a lot of Mac folks are also Nikon folks. Enjoy your new camera!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
My 1st picture. :p be nice now!

For your second picture

(A) Try not to shoot everything dead center (Google "Rule of thirds.")
(B) Try to generally shoot from lower down looking up like a kid at the subject.

Both of those things will help your second picture improve from your first (I'm not saying the first is bad, just that there's room to get better...)

After a few hundred shots, Google "leading lines" and "negative space."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.