Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Well it's a replica Cobra, but it got your attention didn't it? Enjoy. C&C always welcome.

Moderator Note: Images may apparently be found here.

web.jpg
web.jpg

web.jpg
web.jpg

web.jpg
web.jpg

web.jpg
web.jpg

web.jpg
web.jpg

web.jpg
web.jpg

web.jpg
web.jpg

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
cool...

But i would be more impressed if it was your dads Hasselblad H3DII-39MS SLR Digital Camera with Ultra-Wide Angle 28mm f/4.0 Auto Focus Lens

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
nice! now how about an audio file of it running?

Engine bay is tidy, however I would have use plain black hi-tension leads and stripped/polished the red and blue fittings/pipes. the various colours kind of make your eyes draw to those particular items

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks everyone. We are actually getting a new one next month and selling the current one. New one will be Ferrari red with Pearl white stripes and have a 351 putting out about 425 HP. I'll post pics of that when we get it.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Well it's a replica Cobra, but it got your attention didn't it? Enjoy. C&C always welcome.
Sweet! Nice car.

Thanks everyone. We are actually getting a new one next month and selling the current one. New one will be Ferrari red with Pearl white stripes and have a 351 putting out about 425 HP. I'll post pics of that when we get it.
Sounds good.

Wow only needed to post 1st Pic, says it all!:D
True. But the more pics the better with a car like this. :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It's gorgeous! <puddle of drool> Normally I think yellow is a bunk colour for cars but this is a rare one that pulls it off brilliantly. Love it!

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks again, yeah I don't normally like yellow on cars either, but it just looks so good on this car. It's actually the yellow that Dodge used to use on the Vipers. Thanks for all the compliments

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Wow, I've seen a few kit cobra's around (and 2 real cobra's <drool> ) your dad's is the best looking kit I've seen. I love the engine bay, it shows that the time was taken to do a lot of things right.

I have two questions about the build, what chassis did you use and are you going to put twin radiator fans in front?

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks again. My Dad spent a lot of time trying to get the engine bay looking good. I'll let him know everyone here likes it!

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
The look better in the classic dark blue in my opinion - I photographed one a few years ago at a car show, the engine was almost all chrome and pimped with two large cans of NOS - the number plate read "V8 NOS" - dam it is a beautiful machine!

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
The look better in the classic dark blue in my opinion - I photographed one a few years ago at a car show, the engine was almost all chrome and pimped with two large cans of NOS - the number plate read "V8 NOS" - dam it is a beautiful machine!

NOS on a Cobra completely takes away from it's classic appeal. It's like painting the Mona Lisa with bright green hair and a lip ring, just doesn't work. I do like the blue too myself, but I've seen a Cobra painted in the same color combo my Dad is getting and it looks way cooler than the blue, the blue is way overdone, kinda cliche.

JohnHenry, ours does weigh about that much so rock on!

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Links are broken.

why would you ever put nos on a muscle/classic car. thats dumb :S.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
This is a true story. I was working for an insurance company and went to San Francisco for training. In the cellar of their building, where they did bodywork demonstrations for new adjusters, was an area where they stored some recovered thefts. One of these was an actual 427 Cobra with the factory real magnesium Halibrand Mags, factory roll bar, side-mounted exhaust, and an intake manifold with two four-barrel carbs. This was a limited factory option car, no custom junk.

The story was that the car's owner called his agent to get it insured, claiming it was a Mustang or some other cheaper car. The agent added it to the policy without seeing it, a big no-no obviously.

The Cobra was stolen and later recovered by the police. The owner was paid as if it was a Mustang, $4500, as that is what he claimed it was. That company wouldn't have insured a Cobra under any circumstances anyway.

Anyway, I was offered that car for what they had in it, that $4500. To me, newly out of school and poor, and in those days, it was like $100,000 now. I thought it was a good deal and that I could probably sell it for more than $4500, but the exotic car market appreciations hadn't happened yet and so there was no way that I could have known that at one time that car woud go for.....one. million. dollars. You can't look back at good deals in cars, houses, etc. Nobody knew.

I have driven a real 427, the fastest one in American road racing. I was just trying to be careful, so didn't really wring it out. It was plenty fast as you might expect. And it got a ton of attention in all its redness and noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.