Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheInspectorGadget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2024
I am paranoid that one day I'll open my Notes app and everything I've ever written will be gone from a system bug or deletion.
My entire brain dump for the last 10 years. How can I copy everything over to another platform as a backup? Alternatively export everything into files and backup on a external hard drive.
I have 850 notes

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Notes will sync with Gmail, Outlook, and/or just about any other email account that supports IMAP. If you add the account under internet accounts in System Settings, you will see a folder for it in your Notes app. New/Existing notes do not automatically get copied there though, its a manual process and not a sync. You'll need to hold option while dragging a note from your iCloud account to the new folder to create a copy of the note in your email account.

The notes you copy will be synced to a Notes folder (Label if you use Google) in your email account and you will be able to open them there like a message without need of the Notes app if you ever need to.

TheInspectorGadget

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2024
Notes will sync with Gmail, Outlook, and/or just about any other email account that supports IMAP. If you add the account under internet accounts in System Settings, you will see a folder for it in your Notes app. New/Existing notes do not automatically get copied there though, its a manual process and not a sync. You'll need to hold option while dragging a note from your iCloud account to the new folder to create a copy of the note in your email account.

The notes you copy will be synced to a Notes folder (Label if you use Google) in your email account and you will be able to open them there like a message without need of the Notes app if you ever need to.
You're a genius. It did it automatically. I backed up 50 notes in my Microsoft outlook account, will do the rest later.
Only issue is it doesn't include any images or attachments thats fine, I can live.
Thank you!

djs71a

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
Have you tried this application?

User #07242024

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2024
You can make blogs/website from Apple Notes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.