Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I just bought a Lowel Ego lighting kit from bhphoto and decided to try my hand at some product photography. So here are my results :)

Comments welcomed!

Thank you in advance...

451583865_b6cba8d97c.jpg

451706677_cbebdf050f.jpg

more photos here

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
another fun photo

quite a hard shoot to capture, I could never time it right, it was to late or to early, 50 water balloons, and got two good photos. here is one of them.

441182929_032bb2cc13.jpg

jesses

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
cools. i like the first one. On the watch one though...you forgot to set the time to 10:10. That's what the pros do. Search watches on google, i bet you'll see it. haha but good job!

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Very nice. Aside from the watch hand position I would watch the fall off on the face. The date window is hard to see and the light looks like glare. A minor gripe but nice work all round.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I would watch water levels in the glasses. They vary somewhat. I would either make them even for every shot, or make them get emptier as they go back, or fuller. Since you can't see the first one, it's ahrd to tell if you've got a pattern or not.

Great shots though!!!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
cools. i like the first one. On the watch one though...you forgot to set the time to 10:10. That's what the pros do. Search watches on google, i bet you'll see it. haha but good job!
Actually, having nothing better to do, I did this. Although, you were wrong! Only ONE image came up 10:10. There was another at 10:15, but most of the rest had some other random time on it...

To the OP: All you did was buy the lighting kit? I assume it's this one? Then just took a photo? No box or anything?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004

I don't think that shot would look as good if it were set to 10:10... I like the detail of the shadows underneath the minute and seconds hands.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
To the OP: All you did was buy the lighting kit? I assume it's this one? Then just took a photo? No box or anything?

Yes basically, There was no soft-box or anything, just two lights, I used one of the lights as the background, then had the other light as the front light, white glossy paper as the foreground. I just kept playing with the lights to work on the reflections...I am doing more this weekend.

Anyone have any ideas what to take photos of?

And thank you for all the wonderful comments!

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
On the watch one though...you forgot to set the time to 10:10. That's what the pros do. Search watches on google, i bet you'll see it. haha but good job!

I told my wife this a couple years back and she didn't believe me. So now every watch ad we see I point it out to her. I have never seen a watch ad that the time wasn't between 10:09 and 10:10.

Edit: I even remember seeing a digital watch on something and it was set to 10:10

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Off-topic: go to http://www.rolex.com and every watch is set to 10:10:30 on the nose.

On-topic: outstanding shots. I love how the base of the glass captures the other glass in the foreground, though I do agree the last glass should be less full.

The watch was bothering me for some reason and I finally figured out it's because of the direction it's laying. It's 45 degrees clockwise from how you look at it - this is unnatural and would be better 45 degrees counter-clockwise...then again I say this as someone who wear their watch on the left wrist, so maybe it looks correct if you wear yours on the right.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005

10:08-10:10 and I thought I was the only one that saw this.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
That pic with the water spraying....That is an exceedingly interesting shot that I really do love. I understand there were water balloons involved....but what exactly is that I'ms eeing and how did you do it? I mean, the stuff in the image, not exactly how you captured it. It lookslike the top of a glass soda bottle, with a water ballon tossed exactly on top of it?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.