Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H4L

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NZ
Hi there,

I am new into this, I hope to get some advice from you experts helping me to decide which one is better bargain :eek:

My budget is limited and after a few rounds of look-around and reading/research I have the finalist...

Canon 1000D with 18-55MM IS and 75-300MM lenses

A BRAND NEW BLACK 1000D BODY WITH EFS 18-55MM IS STANDARD LENS AND A EF 75-300MM TELEPHOTO ZOOM

COMES WITH ALL PARTS
SHOULDER STRAP SOFTWARE CORDS
BATTERY AND CHARGER,MANUAL
12 MONTHS WARRANTY FROM CANON NZ LTD WITH FULL AFTER CARE A CANON BAG LENSCLOTHS PHOTO PAPER
AND DSLR MANUAL ON PHOTOGRAPHY

or

Sony A350 KIT 14.2MP SLR + 2GB CF + Gifts [NEW]

Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Body
- Sony DT-18-70mm Zoom Lens
- Battery
- AC Battery Charger with cord
- Body Cap
- Accessory Shoe Cap
- Video Cable
- USB Cable
- Program CD
- NZ Adapter
- Manual
- 2GB CF Card
- FREE Gifts (Camera case, Mini tripod, LCD Protector, Lens Cloth)

The Sony is 100$ dearer than the Canon and with only one lens.

I have read these 2 are good for beginners but I just want to know which one is a better deal? I am liking Sony at this stage I just want some more input from you experts to help me to make the decisions. (pros, cons etc)

Thanks.
D

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
those listings look like they came from eBay.

DO NOT BUY CAMERAS FROM EBAY.

ESPECIALLY "Kits" or "bundles"

Stick to retailers with good reputations like Amazon.com, BHPhotovideo.com, Adorama.com, etc.

If you have another site that you're curious about, look it up on http://resellerratings.com

They have reviews from customers. If a site has NO reviews at all, I would avoid it. If I don't shop on the sites I just listed, and I go through someone else, if they have fewer than 50 reviews on resellerratings.com, I avoid them.

H4L

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NZ
Hi there these are not listing on ebay it's on "Trademe" of New Zealand. they are having "real shops" and also online store and they list on "Trademe", with 99.8% positive reputation, and I can even pick the item up, with guarantee...

so any thoughts on these 2 items :)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Since price is your main concern have you not looked at Olympus? Their SLR's are cheaper, I don't get how they didn't make it into your final.

What is it that attracts you to either a Canon or a Sony anyway apart from the price? What were their prices, the Sony is $100 more than what?

H4L

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NZ
Since price is your main concern have you not looked at Olympus? Their SLR's are cheaper, I don't get how they didn't make it into your final.

What is it that attracts you to either a Canon or a Sony anyway apart from the price? What were their prices, the Sony is $100 more than what?

The Canon is around 1000 NZD (675 USD), and Sony's (1130NZD = 760USD) is about 100$ more than the Canon 1000D.

I have a budget around 700-800 USD, and I thought these two might be 'two' of the best among the similar price range? Any recommendation at Olympus? or how do you think of this Canon vs Sony?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Frankly, the Sony is over-priced - the extra $100 (plus more for the second lens) is not going to result in better photographs.

I'd stick with the serious photo equipment manufacturers such as Canon, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax anyhow as that tends to leave you with a more viable upgrade path (not to mention that they're easier to sell second-hand).

Normally I'm a Nikon kinda guy, but right now I think that the Canon is the one to go for in that price bracket. Well-made, capable of excellent results and darned good value with the extra lens in that kit.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Again as price is your main concern, I'd look at the Olympus E420, it is the cheapest body but its really fully featured for what you get, I have one.

I don't mind if it is Canon vs Sony or Canon vs Nikon. Any camera you are going to buy is going to be able to offer you good quality anyway you can't lose. It does boil down to glass really which I think is the most important.

Before all the Canon and Nikon fanboys jump into this thread. How long into the future are you looking into this purchase? What are you going to use it for?

My friend hates her Sony A200 which is similar but I think its pretty neat, she doesn't like the constant auto-focusing but I'm sure you can turn it off. I haven't used the Canon 1000D but I regularly use at work the Canon 400D which is pretty good for what it does.

H4L

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NZ
Frankly, the Sony is over-priced - the extra $100 (plus more for the second lens) is not going to result in better photographs.

I'd stick with the serious photo equipment manufacturers such as Canon, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax anyhow as that tends to leave you with a more viable upgrade path (not to mention that they're easier to sell second-hand).

Normally I'm a Nikon kinda guy, but right now I think that the Canon is the one to go for in that price bracket. Well-made, capable of excellent results and darned good value with the extra lens in that kit.

thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I've been reading at the reviews saying Sony is kinda overrated and better stick with Canon and Nikon but I haven't heard about easier to sell second-hand. :D

argh it's really hard to make a decision right? haha I just don't want to buy the "wrong" camera :eek:

If coming at the same price, which one would you suggest?

vs

Canon 1000D with 18-55MM and 90-300MM lenses

H4L

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NZ
Again as price is your main concern, I'd look at the Olympus E420, it is the cheapest body but its really fully featured for what you get, I have one.

I don't mind if it is Canon vs Sony or Canon vs Nikon. Any camera you are going to buy is going to be able to offer you good quality anyway you can't lose. It does boil down to glass really which I think is the most important.

Before all the Canon and Nikon fanboys jump into this thread. How long into the future are you looking into this purchase? What are you going to use it for?

My friend hates her Sony A200 which is similar but I think its pretty neat, she doesn't like the constant auto-focusing but I'm sure you can turn it off. I haven't used the Canon 1000D but I regularly use at work the Canon 400D which is pretty good for what it does.

thanks for the reply.

I just checked the price here selling Olympus E420, it's just 50$ cheaper than the Canon 1000D, but with only one lens, so I guess Canon might be a better choice since the price is close + extra lens?

I'm new into this hobby I would like to start with shooting scenery and people and ladies :D I don't know how long I'll use it, but I still can keep the body and upgrade with the kits when I feel more comfortable and learn more about the skills, can't I?

H4L

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
NZ
Go with the Canon if you fancy it. You said you can go and pick it up, so see if you can get some hands on experience with it to see if you like it. Good luck.

thanks for that.

btw, if at the same price:

vs

Canon 1000D with 18-55MM and 90-300MM lenses

which one is a better deal?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
You'll have a much wider selection of lenses to use if you go with Canon (or Nikon, for that matter).

And we all know Canon glass is superior.

*runs*

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Canon has a great sensor but I don’t think it offers best value

I give another vote to CrackedButter’s recommendation. If you want value, I don’t think you can go wrong with Olympus -- they give you alot of bang for your bucks. In fact, I think their double-lens kits cannot be beat for value and quality as Olympus kit-lenses are regarded as probably the best of all brands.

I was a Canon user (Rebel XT) and upgraded to the E-420. My experience is that the Canon sensors are great, but kit-lenses are awful. Unless you are going to buy more expensive lenses for the Canon, I think you will get superior IQ from an Olympus with kit-lenses, plus the colour from Olympus is stunning. If you don’t believe me, have a look at my photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26154011@N07/)

You'll have a much wider selection of lenses to use if you go with Canon (or Nikon, for that matter).

And we all know Canon glass is superior.

*runs*

With regards to this comment, you are basically stating that quantity is better than quality? For a beginner to have to sift through all the duds is not exactly an advantage.

Care to elaborate as to why Canon glass is superior -- especially for a beginner? I currently own a Zuiko 12-60mm which is considered by many as the best general zoom on the current market, but it is unfortunately NOT ‘Made by Canon’. ;)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I give another vote to CrackedButter’s recommendation. If you want value, I don’t think you can go wrong with Olympus -- they give you alot of bang for your bucks. In fact, I think their double-lens kits cannot be beat for value and quality as Olympus kit-lenses are regarded as probably the best of all brands.

I was a Canon user (Rebel XT) and upgraded to the E-420. My experience is that the Canon sensors are great, but kit-lenses are awful. Unless you are going to buy more expensive lenses for the Canon, I think you will get superior IQ from an Olympus with kit-lenses, plus the colour from Olympus is stunning. If you don’t believe me, have a look at my photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26154011@N07/)

With regards to this comment, you are basically stating that quantity is better than quality? For a beginner to have to sift through all the duds is not exactly an advantage.

Care to elaborate as to why Canon glass is superior -- especially for a beginner? I currently own a Zuiko 12-60mm which is considered by many as the best general zoom on the current market, but it is unfortunately NOT ‘Made by Canon’. ;)

I gave up on recommending Olympus because I don't know much about buying a camera in New Zealand. If this was somebody from the US then maybe I could find a better price. You are right about the kit lenses and the quality though, I've read elsewhere about their kit lenses being better than the average. But I'm careful to remember that the main concern is price for H4L. Again for the moment just starting out, anything you buy on a budget is going to be fine for you and you shouldn't get hung up on quality at this stage, only your ability.

You beat me to iGary's comment. He IS stating quantity over quality and I find that odd because who takes advantage of Canon's or Nikon's huge range of glass? Everybody wants L series glass anyway and in any case how is that an advantage, I'd rather own a few lenses. The bonus part is that Olympus are also trying to create a system whereby their lenses are half the size and weigh less than everybody else's. Perfect for the travelers or bird watchers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know where my post went. I swear I posted in here before.

Anyway, get the A300 instead of the A350. Same camera, but with a sensor with fewer megapixels (and better image quality).

] You are right about the kit lenses and the quality though, I've read elsewhere about their kit lenses being better than the average.

Not only their kit lenses, most of their other lenses. I think it has to do with the fact that they had to redesign all their lenses when going to 4/3rds, so all their lenses are very modern designs that are less than a decade old.

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
You beat me to iGary's comment. He IS stating quantity over quality and I find that odd because who takes advantage of Canon's or Nikon's huge range of glass? Everybody wants L series glass anyway and in any case how is that an advantage, I'd rather own a few lenses. The bonus part is that Olympus are also trying to create a system whereby their lenses are half the size and weigh less than everybody else's. Perfect for the travelers or bird watchers.

Other than the differences in prices in different countries to find the best value (of which I am not going to investigate), the other key factor for beginners is to define clearly what and how you are going to shoot. Do you need to be discrete? Do you want portability? Do you want the best IQ? Do you need to shoot subjects from a far distance? Or very close-up? Or fast-moving subjects? What? Different systems would be superior to others in different scenarios.

Oh, he did mention shooting ladies... I wonder if this can be equated to ‘bird watching’? :D Definitely an Olympus then!!! :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi there,

I am new into this, I hope to get some advice from you experts helping me to decide which one is better bargain

When you buy an SLR you are buying into s system. You will likely buy some lenses and then in a few yers yo will want to replace the body and it will all need to be the same brand. Buy a Sony and you will be buyubing Sony stuff for the next 20 years.

So,... which brand do you want to be locked into for a few decades? The safe choise is Canon because they have so many options and have been in the SLR business for almost 50 years. Sony is a newcommer with a far thinner lineup

You said "budget"? Then why not Nikon? Canon and Nikon are very close.
Why did you decide not to go with Nikon?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was a Canon user (Rebel XT) and upgraded to the E-420. My experience is that the Canon sensors are great, but kit-lenses are awful. Unless you are going to buy more expensive lenses for the Canon, I think you will get superior IQ from an Olympus with kit-lenses, plus the colour from Olympus is stunning

That is one thing about Canon. Canon makes a wide range of qualities. Their cheap 18-55 kit lenses are not as good as their professional grade lenses. Nikon and Olympus tend not to do this and the Nikon and Oply kit zooms are quite good. I don't think there are any poor lenses in Nikon's current lineup.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
That is one thing about Canon. Canon makes a wide range of qualities. Their cheap 18-55 kit lenses are not as good as their professional grade lenses. Nikon and Olympus tend not to do this and the Nikon and Oply kit zooms are quite good. I don't think there are any poor lenses in Nikon's current lineup.

also worth considering is what do your friends have? when they get
new lenses, you can see how they work for them, a great review right
next to you... and as far as support, what shops are in your local area?

support is important, and friends can really help, settings and such.

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
It's difficult to describe in words how poor the viewfinder is on the A350.

Don't buy either until you handle them, look through the viewfinder, work with the controls. Also consider the Nikon D40 and Pentax K200D (or K100D Super if you can find one) as entry-level bodies, in addition to the Olympus cameras that others have mentioned.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

I've heard the newer 18-55 IS kit lens is much improved over the original.

I don't think people give kit lenses a fair shake. They're usually decent (although not spectacular), and give the purchaser a chance to discover what focal range they like to shoot in, and how serious they're going to be about photography. And it not like they add a significant cost to the camera, in most cases.

To the OP: Between your two choices - I'd go with the Canon, personally. Partly because "you can't go wrong with Canon (or Nikon)"; but I also have to admit I've had an anti-Sony bias ever since that whole "we're going to install spyware on your PC and you're going to smile and take it" episode from a couple years back. They're also not known for customer service - I had one of their Clie PDAs a while back, and can attest to this firsthand. Sony makes quality devices, but God help you if you ever need support.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
The Canon will have a MUCH larger selection of accessories from Canon and third parties (flashes, lenses, chargers, batteries, grips, etc.) than the Sony. If you opt for the Sony and then later on you decide you want to get more serious into photography, you're really going to be kicking yourself for not getting the Canon. With the Canon, you have the choice of upgrading to dozens and dozens of lenses from various manufacturers. With the sony, you have the choice of upgrading to a few.

So yeah, at this exact moment, as a beginner, it probably won't matter for you if you get the Sony or Canon. But if you think you'll ever want upgradability and expandability with your camera, Canon is the way to go.

Imagine it's the difference between an iMac and a Mac Pro. Both have plenty of power out of the box and will do you fine. But in a year you'll be able to upgrade the Mac Pro's internal hard drive, graphics card, and optic drive. On the iMac the only thing you can upgrade is the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.