Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Good Morning all,

I currently own a MBP (below signature) had a few problems with it recently.

1: It's age has started to show it has been extremely slow, and day by day has bugged me. Loading applications would sometimes start with some time delay then other days take a while to load.

2: The original HD failed a couple weeks back got a WD 750Gb stuck that in there. Ended up basically doing a bit of a spring clean, only transferring data from my TM of what i wanted and sticking it on there. Hasn't made a massive difference speed wise, but better then having all that clutter.

So i decided to buy an iMac and this is what i went for. I will be adding 16Gb of RAM onto of the current 8Gb

I'm thinking this? HyperX RAM

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

• 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
• 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
• 2TB Fusion Drive
• AMD Radeon R9 M380 with 2GB video memory
• Magic Mouse 2

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats on your new machine. That's a nice model you picked up.

I never heard of HyperX ram, so I cannot help you with that, I usually buy ram from companies I'm familiar with.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England

I never heard of HyperX ram, so I cannot help you with that, I usually buy ram from companies I'm familiar with.

Thanks!

I'm up for any advise you may have, always best to get a second opinion!

TheBro72

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2016
Manchester, UK

HyperX Ram is made by Kingston. In my Late 2015 machine I have 4 x 8GB (2133mHZ) and it's absolutely fine.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Oh dear! Just had a quick read through that thread.

You have any others that would you consider using?
I was using Crucial RAM previously, never had any issues. But I'm sure it's possible to get a bad DIMM from any manufacturer, and I just happened to get unlucky with the HyperX.

Reactions: Blujelly

TheBro72

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2016
Manchester, UK
Oh dear! Just had a quick read through that thread.

You have any others that would you consider using?

I've used Kingston RAM in every Mac I've owned and honestly it's been fine. The only issue I had was that Amazon sent Kingston RAM for my latest iMac. The RAM fitted the slots but looked different to what was advertised. It didn't work at all. I simply exchanged it and the replacement RAM has been fine.

Crucial RAM is supposed to be good, we use it in the iMacs at work (and I believe that's what Apple use), however you will pay through the nose for it.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I was using Crucial RAM previously, never had any issues. But I'm sure it's possible to get a bad DIMM from any manufacturer, and I just happened to get unlucky with the HyperX.

Yeah true I guess it could happen to anyone.

I've used Kingston RAM in every Mac I've owned and honestly it's been fine. The only issue I had was that Amazon sent Kingston RAM for my latest iMac. The RAM fitted the slots but looked different to what was advertised. It didn't work at all. I simply exchanged it and the replacement RAM has been fine.

Crucial RAM is supposed to be good, we use it in the iMacs at work (and I believe that's what Apple use), however you will pay through the nose for it.

I'll give the Kingston a go, if it doesn't work I can always send it back and start again.

Congratulations on your new iMac.

Thank you

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
And its arrived! Everything seems to be in order at the moment, currently just transferring data over (bit boring). Hopefully will be done soon and get really take it for a test drive!

Still un-sure on the new keyboard though, might just take some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.