Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
OK...SO I got really excited when I found a great deal on my long waited Macro 100mm f/2.8 lens. After trying few shots, I was so pissed as I couldnt get the right amount of light and I usually hate to use the flash...I then decided to try some of the shots and test the lens...Please give me tips on how to do some bug shots now....I also ordered the diffuser so it should be coming soon. Please let me know what do you think about the shots and by the way all of these shots are with manual focus as AF didnt work that close. Also, all of these pictures were taken as RAW.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
they're not so bad, but perhaps some more interesting subjects next time? What is that anyway, cat food? :p Its also obvious that your using the on camera flash making for some poor lighting, try not using it next time :) i can see what you have tried to do as coins are alright for macro photography, but the pictures lack any real strong subject or nature, and some of them are off centre too.

Go out, shoot some more interesting stuff, use natural light, sorted :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
OK...SO I got really excited when I found a great deal on my long waited Macro 100mm f/2.8 lens. After trying few shots, I was so pissed as I couldnt get the right amount of light and I usually hate to use the flash..

Dial in negative flash compensation. Once you control the flash power you don't end up with all of the same issues. Use a tripod too, macro shots love tripods. But dialing down the flash will do more for your shots than anything at this point.

Please let me know what do you think about the shots and by the way all of these shots are with manual focus as AF didnt work that close.

There is a temptation to just take close-up pictures of stuff when one firsts acquires a macro lens. You must resist this temptation- it's still photography, exposure, lighting, composition, contrast and color are all still very important. While it's part of the learning process to see how things look in macro, ultimately if offering photos for critique they should be well-composed, well-exposed and interesting. With macro, attention to the details is also important, for instance the fingerprints on the quarters don't add anything to the image and detract somewhat from the surface detail, as does the condensation on the top of the soda can.

You must also choose your focus points very carefully, as the narrow depth of field in macro makes things very difficult to arrange well- or look into focus stacking. Most macro is shot with manual focus- that makes it difficult to blame the camera for where focus ends up ;)

Paul

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
Definitely plan to take your time with that lens, I love ours, but it takes a little ramp up time to learn how to really make it shine. Paul nailed most of the details very nicely. Spend time with that lens and will most certainly not be disappointed. My biggest problem with it now, is convincing my wife to let me use it instead of her ;)

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Macro

I totally understand the urge to just take macro photos of anything you see! I could not stop for the first few days I had mine (Tamron 60mm f/2 macro).

Do you have off-camera flash capabilities? Even if you don't, try bouncing your on-camera flash, or diffusing it, or something to tone it down!

Some good subject ideas: flowers, water stuff, interesting textures

But nice work! You are on the right path!

PS Take it outside with you, and bring your tripod. compuwar is right, macro loves tripod also. I never shoot macro shots without a tripod. The whole idea is to be able to use the slowest, most narrow aperture you can.

Another tip: Focusing.... I rarely autofocus macro stuff. Here is what I do: Put it on a tripod, and start live view shooting. Zoom in as much as you can, I think its 10X. Then manual focus until its sharp, and bingo.

Keep at it!

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Thank you guys...Great replies.

Few questions I want to answer,
I bought my camera from Craigslist for $399.00
I have been trying out things but not getting chance to take the camera outside, I will probably try it this weekend and post accordingly.

By Controlling flash do you mean reducing the exposure guage? I tried that and it work on few occasion. Like I said, I haven't had chance to test the lens and will try it this weekend. One thing I want to mention and that is I have ordered diffuser from Ebay and it should be coming soon.

What do you guys do with the bugs? I mean for larger DOF, usually the shutter speed go too low and thinking about it, I assume they will move and the picture will get blurry. What is the best way? use the camera in Manual mode?

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.