Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
I ventured out for the first time with my freshly purchased 70-200mm f4L

This was my first group of photos with the 70-200mm f4 L
Feedback would be appreciated!

1. The American River
IMG_1532.jpg

2. The Folsom Dam
IMG_1540.jpg

3. Cool Cables
IMG_1549.jpg

4. Part of the new Bridge since the Feds closed the road over the Dam after 9/11
IMG_1559.jpg

5. I liked the contrast of razor wire and the beautiful scenery...the area is covered in it since 9/11
IMG_1567.jpg

6. Part of the Old Folsom Prison
IMG_1571_R.jpg

7. More of the Old Prison
IMG_1577.jpg

8. I though this was a good capture coming off the new bridge.
IMG_1607.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There is something odd about many of them.
What is with 1, 4, 6, & 7 color wise? Is this a victim of poor post processing or HDR gone semi wrong?

I only ask because I like the lens, it's a well regarded lens IIRC, and yet your photos appear to be over saturated and oddly contrasted.
6 in particular looks like moire but not? :confused: I'm just finding my eyes go funny while looking at some of the pics.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Congratulations, it's supposed to be a great lens. :)

I hate to rain on your parade, but some of the shots don't look as sharp as I'd expect, based on what I've read about how incredibly sharp Canon's 70-200 mm f/4 lenses are supposed to be. Did you crop shot #2 and #9 a lot? Did the wind affect some of your photos that included trees?

Also, Jessica is right regarding the colour. The colour in photos 2, 6, and 7 seem far too saturated.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
There is something odd about many of them.
What is with 1, 4, 6, & 7 color wise? Is this a victim of poor post processing or HDR gone semi wrong?

I only ask because I like the lens, it's a well regarded lens IIRC, and yet your photos appear to be over saturated and oddly contrasted.
6 in particular looks like moire but not? :confused: I'm just finding my eyes go funny while looking at some of the pics.

Probably a victim of bad PP...here are the originals for reference
IMG_1577-Version2.jpg

IMG_1571-Version2.jpg

IMG_1532-Version2.jpg

I hate to rain on your parade, but some of the shots don't look as sharp as I'd expect, based on what I've read about how incredibly sharp Canon's 70-200 mm f/4 lenses are supposed to be. Did you crop shot #2 and #9 a lot? Did the wind affect some of your photos that included trees?

There wasn't a lot of wind. There is no doubt the lack of sharpness is user error. If there are any pointers you can give I would appreciate it. As far as cropping goes, #2 and #9 were not cropped other than to level the horizon.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
The pictures are okay, I think the general problem is that the lighting is really just boring. A hazy/overcast day makes the images flat and dull. It was your first outing so you couldn't have had much control over that, but that's my general take.

Also, when it comes to L glass, you won't have to do much color boosting/contrast adjustment when you hone in your lighting skills - they just shine straight from the camera. The ones you boosted really had some noise show up - if you head back on a nice sunny evening when the light is warm and shoot the same shots, you'll have incredible results.

The 70-200 is a gorgeous people lens. Learn how to use it for people shots and you'll really appreciate your investment.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
The pictures are okay, I think the general problem is that the lighting is really just boring. A hazy/overcast day makes the images flat and dull. It was your first outing so you couldn't have had much control over that, but that's my general take.

Also, when it comes to L glass, you won't have to do much color boosting/contrast adjustment when you hone in your lighting skills - they just shine straight from the camera. The ones you boosted really had some noise show up - if you head back on a nice sunny evening when the light is warm and shoot the same shots, you'll have incredible results.

The 70-200 is a gorgeous people lens. Learn how to use it for people shots and you'll really appreciate your investment.

I am going to go back tonight or tomorrow night around 7ish and see if I can improve my results.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Your efforts aren't bad for a first try, I especially liked the more "industrial" pictures with the cables, the razor wire and the derelict building.

As for the other pictures, the lighting lets them down a bit but nature isn't something you can control! You've definitely got a good setting there and as wheezy said, head out a couple of hours before sunset on a day with less clouds and the low sunlight will totally transform your pictures.

I am going to go back tonight or tomorrow night around 7ish and see if I can improve my results.

I'll look forward to seeing them :)

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Since this location is only ten minutes from the house, I thought it might be cool to go in the morning and see the contrast in lighting.

Here are morning shot without editing
IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

3. I think this abandoned structure will be much better closer to sunset
IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Better light, but still not great light. How early did you go? The sun looks pretty strong already. Morning light is best shortly after sunrise, while the sun is still low, the shadows are still long, and the hues are warm. I look forward to seeing your pre-sunset shots; this site definitely has some potential.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Better light, but still not great light. How early did you go? The sun looks pretty strong already. Morning light is best shortly after sunrise, while the sun is still low, the shadows are still long, and the hues are warm. I look forward to seeing your pre-sunset shots; this site definitely has some potential.

We didn't get out early enough...I knew as soon as we got there, but it was about 8am. We are going to venture out around 7:30 this evening and see what we can get.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Life has been crazy and I have not been able to get out to the dam again but here are some "sunset lit" shots from the front yard magnolia tree with the 70-200L
IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Yes, but okay if you want to practice.

OP - keep practicing! I think your shots are coming along, and that lens is awesome.

I agree that flowers are boring but if you are looking for a quick way of checking color and practicing light, I think they are good subject. I am learning alot about light and aperture with this lens.

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback!

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
shot 8 - would have been so much better if you could have show the feet of the children, so you would have seen the whole of them, and there would have been less space a the top. The composition definitely would have been alot better had this been done! Nonetheless, nice shots :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.