Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iProd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
I've got to say all of my pictures came out way better than I expected them to! I had gotten an AE-1 Program from an antique store, which came with a 50mm, 28mm wide angle lens, and a 70-210mm lens, very nice camera bag, some UV filters and a skylight filter, and all the original boxes and paper work for $110. A rather amazing find I think :D And along with it being taken great care of externally, it seems that it works beautifully internally as well. Here are the photos, enjoy. The last ones came out overexposed, which is too bad, but they are not horribly bad... Enjoy :)

http://www.corporatefallout.net/prod/photos/080707FILM/

iProd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
Heh, I just had it developed at a local Ritz, I don't have any deveoping or scanning equipment of my own yet, but I was only gonna get prints, and they messed up on something, so they reprinted them and gave me a complimentary disc of my photos, which I am SO glad that I got. Thanks, I am glad you like them. :D

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Nice color. I'm take a color photo course this fall, and I'm excited, since all I've ever shot with my Elan is black and white. I'll be printing my own, though, so that should be an experience, too!

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
Wow. Those are some nice shots

Really nice composition and color. Looks like a beautiful day too.

What kind of film did you use?

I grew up with film as the norm, so I can't help but smile at the notion of using film for the first time as being a special occasion. :)

There's an old Pentax in my closet that was my grandfather's that I need to pull out and play with. It's been a couple of years since I shot anything with it. I've totally been spoiled by digital though, with its instant feedback and hundreds of shots per roll.

Film requires much more patience and precision. Again, good shots.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Two things...I now feel old when someone is excited about their first shots with film; as though it is the second coming. :( But...good job using film. It seems like no one cares for it any more.

And irregardless isn't a word. ;)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Haha, sorry about that, I used Kodak Gold 200 film.

Thats good film, I have some out of date stuff which I use to actually print Black and White with and it doesn't lose that much contrast.

Canon A-1 here, 2 bodies 5 lenses. More details in my website, which by the way I've just realised doesn't have any images taken with my A-1, they are all digital. Oh well, update soon.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
The AE-1 is an excellent camera; I have and still use the original version that only does shutter priority and manual, with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Quite easy to use, in my experience. Durable too -- I'm sure mine will still be working long after my Nikon D50, though of course I use the D50 a lot more.

What else is great about film is that even an older camera body like the AE-1 can use the newest film.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
irregardless

Irregardless is a word according to the Concise Oxford. It can be an adjective and adverb. <informal> regardless. It's Origin: C20: probably a blend of Irrespective and Regardless.

KGB

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Haha, sorry about that, I used Kodak Gold 200 film.

Now, if you really want to have this look: :eek: load your camera with Velvia 50. You'll see what heart-warming colours are...
By the way, very good results. About overexposing, keep in mind that negative film takes overexposing VERY well. A re-scan/re-printing of an apparently superoverexposed frame can give miracles. With slides, on the contrary, you've got to be spot on, as they are much less tolerant (but look so much better!)

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
I'll be printing my own, though, so that should be an experience, too!
Printing your own color is a lot of fun. I've yet to encounter a digital print that I prefer to a nice, glossy handmade c-print with a natural border.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.