Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

val.kalinic

Suspended
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I'm using a 2013 MacBook Air, and hoping to upgrade in the next six months. But the newer models feel like downgrades actually - I use standard USB daily and it's gone just like MagSafe. Also the processing isn't much improved, and batteries are worse. Don't get me started on the price.

New MBP 13'' - better battery, STANDARD USB, MagSafe - by the end of the year, should I hope?

EDIT: I meant standard USB, instead of this cr@p they're pushing I can't use for anything - yet

Last edited:

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I'm using a 2013 MacBook Air, and hoping to upgrade in the next six months. But the newer models feel like downgrades actually - I use standard USB daily and it's gone just like MagSafe. Also the processing isn't much improved, and batteries are worse. Don't get me started on the price.

New MBP 13'' - better battery, USB3, MagSafe - by the end of the year, should I hope?

Highly unlikely USB-A will ever come back. USB-C is going to become the standard and its unlikely Apple will replace an older technology that they have already removed for 2 generations.

Better battery, possibly but not likely until they begin using their own chips in 2020.

Magsafe, possibly. I read a rumor a bit back that apple was developing its own USB-C MagSafe cable. Keep in mind, this will still utilize USB-C ports for charging and they wouldn't bring back a separate charging port like before. Everything will be handled through the USB-C ports.

I have a 2013 Air (daughters using it), had a 2015 MBP and now have a 2017 nTB MBP and it definitely isn't a downgrade imo. I get slightly better battery life than the 2015 (Air is still king), better speakers, slightly smaller and lighter, as well as brighter screen while working outside. Plus Im really starting to like the USB-C ports and the Griffin BreakSafe cable.

val.kalinic

Suspended
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Battery life - maybe
USB3 - already got it
MagSafe - gone for good

Sorry, meant standard USB, what anyone needs the round USB port is beyond me; 1 - never seen it used in devices, 2 - if the point is "the future is wireless" why put FOUR of those
Why is MagSafe gone for good? It's such a useful little invention
[doublepost=1524422020][/doublepost]
Highly unlikely USB-A will ever come back. USB-C is going to become the standard and its unlikely Apple will replace an older technology that they have already removed for 2 generations.

I get your logic, and agree that's almost certainly what's happening. Still, I'm in university (architecture school) and USBA is the absolute standard everybody uses all the time - I've never (and I do mean absolutely never), seen 3.1 used in real life. It just seems it would be a hassle being incompatible with everything. Does anyone buy USB3 keys? How long will it take the majority (Windows users on much older machines) to adopt it?

Just seems to me they moved on very prematurely.

Last edited:

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Well... Apple has done this before with THE original USB in the iMac. It probably was a pain as well (I don't know, that iMac is almost as old as I am).

Reactions: val.kalinic

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Sorry, meant standard USB, what anyone needs the round USB port is beyond me; 1 - never seen it used in devices, 2 - if the point is "the future is wireless" why put FOUR of those
Why is MagSafe gone for good? It's such a useful little invention

USB-C has a ton of advantages over standard USB. Charging capabilities as well as data transfer. Its like HDMI when it came out. You didn't get it unless you looked into what it could do via 1 cable that it used to take multiple to do. I would look into USB-C for yourself to see why Apple and many others are switching to it. Its the future and here to stay for many years.

As far as never seeing it? Its been standard in quite a few devices for a couple of years. Many android phones including flagships like the galaxy series use it.

MagSafe can and is used in 3rd party USB-C cables. Apple is rumored to be making their own as well. Having 2 types of charging ports however is costly and redundant.

ZirkMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Eternal now.

New MBP 13'' - better battery, STANDARD USB, MagSafe - by the end of the year, should I hope?

EDIT: I meant standard USB, instead of this cr@p they're pushing I can't use for anything

I'd wait and I'm waiting with my 2011 Air for the new Retina Air refresh rumored to come out this June. Should be better value for money if you don't need that much processing power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.