Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I'm not sure when it started happening (I think it was one of the iPadOS 14 updates) but when I have it on my iPad and I don't have the screen covered by my Smart Cover, my old iPad Pro (9.7") keeps waking up literally every minute. Is this a known bug?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I'm not sure when it started happening (I think it was one of the iPadOS 14 updates) but when I have it on my iPad and I don't have the screen covered by my Smart Cover, my old iPad Pro (9.7") keeps waking up literally every minute. Is this a known bug?
Nothing is pressing on the home button or the power button?

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
It doesn't seem to do it in Airplane mode...however, I'd hate to turn on airplane mode all time just to save battery life

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
The reason for the question about airplane mode is to identify if its software or hardware. If it is not occurring in airplane mode then it is likely that some application is waking the display due to background activity of some sort. Are any new notifications being displayed at each wakeup?

Reactions: secretk

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
The reason for the question about airplane mode is to identify if its software or hardware. If it is not occurring in airplane mode then it is likely that some application is waking the display due to background activity of some sort. Are any new notifications being displayed at each wakeup?
It seemed like the airplane mode caused it to not wake up every minute, but it seems now that it still wakes up every minute in airplane mode. I did get some AirPods for Christmas. Would that have anything to do with it?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
It seemed like the airplane mode caused it to not wake up every minute, but it seems now that it still wakes up every minute in airplane mode. I did get some AirPods for Christmas. Would that have anything to do with it?
You can try to test that by disabling Bluetooth on your iPad and see what happens. I do not have this bug but I also do not own Airpods so I cannot confirm or deny any relation.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
If new notifications aren’t showing up when the screen wakes and battery usage by app isn’t indicating any unexplained excessive battery use by an app then I’m not sure next steps other than full wipe and monitoring the device visually without setting it up fully to see if it is a hardware issue (like a faulty sensor).

Reactions: secretk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.