Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abcheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
I’ve been using my phone since mid 2016 and it has served me very well so far. So I recently updated my iPhone to 12.2 and my phone started draining so much overnight. I checked the battery usage and it has nothing running in the background either. My touch ID stopped working as well. I rebooted my phone quite some times already and it has been around 3-4 days since it started happening. I don’t know what’s wrong and I’m not gonna get a new phone till next year so please, any help is appreciated.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Unfortunately you’re best option is probably a factory reset and then restoring from a backup. The same happened to me when I upgrade on my iPhone 8 and the only way it fixed was with a reset. Just BE SURE you have a backup prior to erasing your phone.

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
You could get your battery serviced?, where I am its £45 in the UK for a 6+ model at Apple directly (not sure where you are based but I think its global), you also get AppleCare on the battery for 90 days if any problems occur, and if you come to sell your phone you'll get more for it? Thats what I would do if I was going to upgrade my phone, but holding off until next year...

As for Touch ID, that's odd, but speaking from when I used to work as a technician I saw that sometimes a bloated battery caused the ribbon cable to detach/split on some models. It might not be bloated to the point were its visible on the outside, problem is to check you'd have to open the phone, and Apple can tell when screws have been undone.

Last edited:

AxlTJ

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2018
Batteries' lifespan is generally at 2 years and some months before it wanes down. I guess it's time for a battery change. Your device needs to be checked internally anyway as your TouchID isn't working. You can go to a local tech or Apple but it's worth noting that the latter will cost more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.