Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Can anyone help with this? I have just transferred a whole bunch of photos over to y Macbook from my iPhone via Air Drop. When they arrived, I saw that they were not numbered consecutively in the order I took them.

I can't imagine why Apple should design the system like this - when I use my big SLR camera, photos are always numbered in the order I took them and, if I look at each photo, the correct date and time are clearly displayed. But I then I click on View in Finder, and then Arrange By and changed that from Arrange by Name to Arrange by Date Added or Arrange by date modified. The Photos are still stuck the random order in which they were numbered.

Any solutions, anyone. I'm running IoS 10.13.6 High Sierra on my Macbook and 11.4.1 on my iPhone SE

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Can anyone help with this? I have just transferred a whole bunch of photos over to y Macbook from my iPhone via Air Drop. When they arrived, I saw that they were not numbered consecutively in the order I took them.

I can't imagine why Apple should design the system like this - when I use my big SLR camera, photos are always numbered in the order I took them and, if I look at each photo, the correct date and time are clearly displayed. But I then I click on View in Finder, and then Arrange By and changed that from Arrange by Name to Arrange by Date Added or Arrange by date modified. The Photos are still stuck the random order in which they were numbered.

Any solutions, anyone. I'm running IoS 10.13.6 High Sierra on my Macbook and 11.4.1 on my iPhone SE
[doublepost=1534184783][/doublepost]Well, I've solved one problem. I can at least now put the photos in the chronological order in which they were taken. It's not enough for you to click View/Arrange by/ Date Created. You've also got click View/as List. If your Finder is in View/as Columns, then although your files should be in the order in which they are created, they're not!

Don't you just love the way so many fans of Macs say how intuitive they are?

I still don't know why my iPhone creates completely random numbers for the photos I take. Anyone know how to stop that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.