Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 19, 2010
UK
I bought an iPhone X when they first launched and more recently I had to buy some iPhones for work, we decided to go for the XR's as they were a better price!

I set up one of the XRs and compared it side by side to my X. I have to say that I cannot tell the difference between the two. The XR is just as fast, the screen looks no different to my eyes. I haven't compared the photo quality.

I must say that I think I would definitely go for an XR in the future and would save a lot of money in the process. They are great devices!

Do others have any experience using the 2 as a daily driver....maybe then it's noticeable?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I have both as a daily driver, personal and work

I get what you mean they are more or less “identical” experiences.

Both are just as fast, and feel the same. Obviously the XR is heavier and thicker, and bigger (wider in the hand) with the thicker bezels and small text not as crisp, and a battery that seems to last twice as long

The screen is fine though. From the distance we use our phones from our faces, it’s fine.

They are both fast but over the months I’ve come to slightly prefer the XR just because of the battery life

They both feel like the same/similar experience

The one thing I do miss is 3D Touch. I like to peek and pop, and I hope that is implemented soon for the XR.
[doublepost=1550754484][/doublepost]
I switched from a XS max to the XR and the only noticeable difference to me was the XS max had deeper blacks. The XS/XS max really isn’t worth the extra 250/350 more than the XR in my opinion.

Agreed. I used to own a XS max. Here in Canada the difference is something like 500$ difference.

Not worth the difference. Especially since the XR seems to last longer battery life wise. The “value” in the XS max at the price apple sells it at simply isn’t there imo

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 19, 2010
UK
I have both as a daily driver, personal and work

I get what you mean they are more or less “identical” experiences.

Both are just as fast, and feel the same. Obviously the XR is heavier and thicker, and bigger (wider in the hand) with the thicker bezels and small text not as crisp, and a battery that seems to last twice as long

The screen is fine though. From the distance we use our phones from our faces, it’s fine.

They are both fast but over the months I’ve come to slightly prefer the XR just because of the battery life

They both feel like the same/similar experience

The one thing I do miss is 3D Touch. I like to peek and pop, and I hope that is implemented soon for the XR.
[doublepost=1550754484][/doublepost]

Agreed. I used to own a XS max. Here in Canada the difference is something like 500$ difference.

Not worth the difference. Especially since the XR seems to last longer battery life wise. The “value” in the XS max at the price apple sells it at simply isn’t there imo

Thanks nordique for the reply, interesting to hear your experience. Sounds to me like it's a no brainer for anyone wanting to get a new iPhone. If they were to lower prices (which I have a feeling they will at some point) then it's an even better deal.

As much as I look at it, I just can't see that $300-$350 extra is worth it. I did a comparison on the Apple website out of curiosity and it's so negligible in terms of specs.

I always forget about 3D Touch! I came from an iPhone 6 to an X, that's probably why.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I recently had an iPhone XS and a Pixel 3 XL. Just sold my Pixel 3 XL to pick up a Mate 20 Pro and gave my XS to my wife. I don't like being without an iOS device so I decided to pick up an iPhone XR. I had an old 6S Plus collecting dust so I traded it in for a base model XR. It ended up costing me just a bit over $500 and I'm seriously impressed. Sure, it doesn't have the blackest blacks of an OLED and it's slightly thicker than the XS / XS Max, and has bigger bezels. But for the price this thing is a no brainer, especially if you have a trade in. The battery life is insane. I really don't feel like I'm losing much, if anything over the XS I had. If I had to choose one iPhone, I'd probably pick the XR over the XS/XS max for the $ savings and excellent battery life. It's weird because I'm a tech geek and always want the best of everything and never even considered the XR until recently. Now that I did, I wish I had sooner! It's an amazing device at a great price.

2ndHalfCor

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Idaho
I went from an 8 to an 8+ then to the XR, but really didn't like the XR. The screen was very good (better than the 8), but not as good as the 8+, in my opinion. The 8+ was too big for me and I hoped the XR would seem more nimble, but it felt like a brick, and although smaller, it was even heavier than the 8+. I gave the XR to my wife (and she loves it) and bought a X (from T-Mobile) for about the same price. I love the size, the screen is nice, and I find it much more satisfactory for my use. The only problem I'm having is poorer reception in some of the rural areas I frequent. Much of this decision depends on individual tastes and preferences. They're all great phones and there is no wrong answer.

Reactions: Kangaroos

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I went from an 8 to an 8+ then to the XR, but really didn't like the XR. The screen was very good (better than the 8), but not as good as the 8+, in my opinion. The 8+ was too big for me and I hoped the XR would seem more nimble, but it felt like a brick, and although smaller, it was even heavier than the 8+. I gave the XR to my wife (and she loves it) and bought a X (from T-Mobile) for about the same price. I love the size, the screen is nice, and I find it much more satisfactory for my use. The only problem I'm having is poorer reception in some of the rural areas I frequent. Much of this decision depends on individual tastes and preferences. They're all great phones and there is no wrong answer.

The 8 Plus weighs 202g (7.1 oz) compared to 194g (6.8 oz) for the XR.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I had an 8+ before getting the XR. I loved the screen size of the 8+ just not the size of the phone. I love the size of the XR and honestly don’t notice a difference in the screen. I don’t really miss 3D Touch as I only used it for my phone favorites. I wanted the form factor of the X series but not at the XS Max price in Canada. The XR is a fantastic phone.

Jellyenzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
I like the 3D touch. Its a nifty festure that I never really experienced before.

The one major critique I have with my XS is definitely battery life. I dont even care about the notch as I have a case but dammit I would’ve liked at least 3000mAh~ for the XS (not the max)

Reactions: Archer1778

Teledatageek

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Upstate New York
I have a X and am considering an XR. I don't "need" to upgrade and understand the pro's and con's of each. I do prefer LCD screens and of course would have brand new phone with a full warranty.

My X is out of warranty. $300 with trade in from Apple to upgrade to a XR 128GB or I could wait six months and see what the latest iPhones looks like. Financially - I'm thinking my X won't be worth as much in Sept. - maybe closer to $300?. Maybe it's a no brainer financially even if I trade the XR in on a new phone in September? What would you do?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I have a X and am considering an XR. I don't "need" to upgrade and understand the pro's and con's of each. I do prefer LCD screens and of course would have brand new phone with a full warranty.

My X is out of warranty. $300 with trade in from Apple to upgrade to a XR 128GB or I could wait six months and see what the latest iPhones looks like. Financially - I'm thinking my X won't be worth as much in Sept. - maybe closer to $300?. Maybe it's a no brainer financially even if I trade the XR in on a new phone in September? What would you do?

I used to be on the side of the argument that would’ve said keep your iPhone X. But now I’m on the iPhone XR and I am completely sold on it. The only drawbacks in my opinion are the no 3D Touch and you have to download a different camera app to take portrait mode pictures of objects that aren’t human.

Otherwise you’re not really missing anything with the screen. It’s still amazing. For those who absolutely have to have the deep blacks on the amoled then I guess it would fit your needs.

The difference in battery though is crazy. This is by far the best battery life I’ve ever had on any phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teledatageek

Cladster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
Are used to be on the side of the argument that would’ve said keep your iPhone X. But now I’m on the iPhone XR and I am completely sold on it. The only drawbacks in my opinion are the no 3D Touch and you have to download a different camera app to take portrait mode pictures of objects that aren’t human.

Otherwise you’re not really missing anything with the screen. It’s still amazing. For those who absolutely have to have the deep blacks on the amoled then I guess it would fit your needs.

The difference in battery though is crazy. This is by far the best battery life I’ve ever had on any phone.

Yeah 100%, its a great working man/girl phone, not too small or too big, good camera, great reception/call quality and like you said battery is a beast.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah 100%, its a great working man/girl phone, not too small or too big, good camera, great reception/call quality and like you said battery is a beast.

„great working man/girl phone“ describes it very good. For me it’s a kind of a very solid and reliable SUV under the phones. It feels like it will never let you down....

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You mentioned you could wait the six months to see what the next iPhones look like, there likely is not much to expect for a differential, with the exception of the ‘triple lens camera’ for the XS models. As for the XR, the only real indication of a rumor for updated hardware, would be the ‘dual lens camera’, which I don’t think the XR will receive a significant update, other than a color addition, simply because the price point needs to say the same around $750.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.