Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Hi,
So I was sending a brand new iPhone XS Gold with DHL and basically it disappeared according to DHL. After few days of the online tracking not updating (package received from sender at branch), it has stayed so ever since. I was asked by DHL to submit an "investigation request" which took about 4 weeks to conclude, after which DHL said "after looking long and hard, we couldn't locate the package. Please fill in these documents.".

Now, is there anything else I can do with regards to blocking the phone? I of course have the IMEI and serial numbers (they are written on the Apple Invoice). The phone obviously doesn't have Find My iPhone activated or any SIM in it for that matter (i.e. no carrier). I did file a police report.

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The phone is gone and there is nothing you can do about that. You should file a claim with DHL and check with your credit card company because they might provide loss protection which would pay for a new phone.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Nothing can be done with the IMEI and Serial numbers.
I thought Apple may be able to block handsets from ever being activated by blocking the IMEI etc (after my X was stolen), but they cant do anything.

Its gone.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you insured the phone with DHL, you'll get your money back. Whenever you send something by DHL, UPS, or FedEx, you really need to declare the value of it and make sure it's insured.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Unfortunately, it is only insured by DHL up to €500. Seems that I am indeed out of an iPhone. Was the 256GB too. :mad:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Sorry to hear that. I've shipped high value items via UPS and they always allow insuring it for full value. My advice is to avoid doing business with DHL.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple cannot do anything witb a serial number or imei? They can blacklist the iphone. I dont know if apple would go to such lengths but if the finder of your phone is silly enough to go to a premium service provider they might figure out it is stolen and contact the police. Chances are slim though. Sorry for your loss. :(

Why would Apple blacklist the phone?

There's no proof this IMEI or S/N was stolen.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't believe Apple blocks IMEIs anyway. The best thing for the OP to do is contact the major carriers in the area and report the phone as missing and possibly stolen. Give them the IMEI and serial number of the phone and if it comes up to be activated, perhaps they will block it. It's a long shot though. Most likely you're out the difference between what you insured the phone for with DHL and the actual value.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't believe Apple blocks IMEIs anyway. The best thing for the OP to do is contact the major carriers in the area and report the phone as missing and possibly stolen. Give them the IMEI and serial number of the phone and if it comes up to be activated, perhaps they will block it. It's a long shot though. Most likely you're out the difference between what you insured the phone for with DHL and the actual value.

The problem is, there's no proof the device was stolen.

From Apple and the carrier's perspective, the phone could have been sold by the original owner. Why would anybody block the IMEI? Carriers know if their devices have been stolen. So does Apple. But once a phone is sold to an end-user, off-contract, it's difficult to prove a device is stolen.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Re-read the OP's post above. He sent the phone via DHL, how could he have sold it? And it is not unusual for a dishonest person working for any of the major services (DHL, FedEx, UPS) to steal a package especially one that had a high value item within like an iPhone. That's why it's so important to send a high value item with a service who provides actual value insurance.

Reactions: perezr10

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Re-read the OP's post above. He sent the phone via DHL, how could he have sold it? And it is not unusual for a dishonest person working for any of the major services (DHL, FedEx, UPS) to steal a package especially one that had a high value item within like an iPhone. That's why it's so important to send a high value item with a service who provides actual value insurance.

Those are just words, there's no proof. I'm not doubting the OP's claim.

But from Apple's perspective, there's no proof the phone was stolen. The DHL package could be anything - a brick or an iPhone or a Pixel. Hence, neither Apple nor any carrier will blacklist the IMEI.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have no idea where the OP is at but here in the US, if an iPhone is stolen from you it can be reported to your carrier and they will blacklist it. I agree that Apple could care less. They don't blacklist IMEIs anyway. Of course, if a phone that you own is stolen you can lock it yourself with Find My iPhone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The problem is, there's no proof the device was stolen.

From Apple and the carrier's perspective, the phone could have been sold by the original owner. Why would anybody block the IMEI? Carriers know if their devices have been stolen. So does Apple. But once a phone is sold to an end-user, off-contract, it's difficult to prove a device is stolen.
If the device belongs to the owner who is a customer of a carrier then the customer can report the device as stolen (similarly to how it can be reported as lost) and the carrier can blacklist it (via a blacklist that should be shared across other carriers as well). This kind of thing has been in place for a quite a while now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So Apple and carriers only blacklist devices that have been stolen directly from them, or a store? Yeah that actually makes more sense considering the fact there indeed is no proof the device is stolen.
Apple likely does it like that, but carriers will do it based on reports from their customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.