Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017

Attachments

• IMG_5031.JPG
    IMG_5031.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 265

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
There is a new variation of this I've updated.

Attachments

• IMG_5261.JPG
    IMG_5261.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 158

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
I don't know your age or level of education, so please take the following as advice from an art teacher, and not a slam. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be saying the following...

Making a compelling image involves more than simply learning the technical aspects of a program. What I see here is an attempt to make up for a lack of basic drawing and composition skills by relying too heavily on filters and text to add visual interest to the image.

If your goal is to become a better artist, then you need to start with two things:

1) Concentrate on learning to draw. That means drawing every single day. Draw from life first. Then pick up a book such as "Drawing the Marvel Way" to learn how to make compelling human figures that read well graphically.

2) Learn visual composition. There are many books/websites on this, but you need to learn how to place elements on a page in a way that leads the viewer's eye to where you want to focus their attention. If you're not thinking about composition, then you're rolling the dice on whether your image will have its intended effect.

Do those two things and your artwork will astound viewers, even if it's only done in black and white. As an old teacher used to tell me, "The drawing is the foundation of your work, and no amount of fancy coloring or technique will save a badly composed drawing."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.